Monday 19 September 2016

Bits and Bobs Between The Raindrops

Haven't got up to too much over the weekend. Jon spent Friday night and half of Saturday fixing the water as we had an airlock. I am so lucky to have a handy husband!

I made some more fridge pickles; the cucumber have come to an end so I made these yummy things again but used red onions this time.



Forgot to say we visited a new vintage shop in Aber the weekend before and I found these for £1 each. A lovely addition to the Poly House but I shall probably end up using a couple of them for Christmas decorations; they are just my thing for that!



They had loads along with lots of other lovely stuff. Will definitely be going back as I hope to find one of those red metal fire buckets for the hearth.

Yesterday we harvested our first turnips. Eeeek! They are a good size but have left some in the ground.



Can't wait to use them in something; it won't be tonight as tea is already planned. We make a lovely chicken broth in the winter using turnips and carrots, just root veg really, and hope these will add some special flavour. I'll be looking for some recipes later to make the most of them.

At about 3pm yesterday I went out, trug in hand, to pick what I thought may soon be the last of the balckberries. I hoped I would not get caught in a rain shower as the weather is definitely on the Autumnal turn - can't wait frankly. I picked what turned out to be 1lb 4oz; don't you just love free food?



There were loads more so plan on making time to go out again this week to get more to keep in the freezer. Lovely to be able to have a handful on your porridge in the morning or add to a smoothie, one of Alfie's fav things for breakfast.

I plan on making a blackberry, peach and banana crumble today, mmmm! Unfortunately our apple tree has come to the end of its fruit but we have enjoyed it. We need to prune it I think ready for next year but will have to get my book out and see what to do as unsure. 

The boys are back at Urdd after school club today so I have the car from taking Jon to work so that I can collect them, and then Jon, later. I plan on going to the farmers co-operative in Tregaron to see if they have some seed potatoes or any fruit/veg trays of anything useful. I don't often get to go there because of not having the car.

Right I better get on as I have bread proving just now, a few jobs to get done over the next couple of days including cleaning out the chooks between the possible rain showers we may get. My visitor is here on Wednesday, it is our community monthly lunch on Thursday and my birthday on Saturday. No time for celebration for the latter as we are having the Rayburn put over to the house heating when Jon's dad comes to visit on Friday/Saturday but we will be all sorted then!

Bye for now.

Lou.xx



7 comments:

  1. I love free food too, you can't beat it! Love the crumble combo idea. Looking forward to seeing your Christmas ideas and posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. In an hour or so there should be a You Tube thing I've recorded about my December Daily. It will be on there and also pinned on my Pinterest account. Check it out if you can find it, only my second ever so still learning!x

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sending the link. I've set it aside for special Friday night viewing. Excited! X

      Delete
  2. I love terracotta pots I have decorated several over the years,I really love the idea of a trug, I am off out for a walk after tea even if it is raining as I want to find some more blackberries before they all spoil.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a goodly amount. I had no time to go out again today but might manage it tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I love terracota pots you cant beat them, glad to hear you are getting the Rayburn put over to house heating, multi purpose stove :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have doors and windows open at the moment because of the heat! I just keep it going until just after lunch right now, get some baking done, something cooking slow for tea etc then the water is hot, too. I'm even getting used the dust and ashes when we open it. House proud?!

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx