Saturday 17 June 2017

This And That Plus A Trip Out.

Hi!

We have had a few bits out of the garden over the last couple of days which is fantastic. Spring onions were lovely, strawbs are coming regularly but not tonnes, I wish, plus a few VERY tasty new spuds - Charlottes and Arran Pilots. Won't be buying any more of these from now on I don't think but I also am leaving them in the ground for a little longer yet so they end up slightly bigger.





What we have had a bit of trouble with are the hens; for some reason we were daily only getting between three and six eggs for a few days but thankfully today they seem to be back to laying as we had eight.

I found this when I was looking at some photos and just wanted to include it because I just love it.

On Thursday I put these baby toms in the dehydrator; we'll see what result we get and over how long; bit of an experiment as not the same as an electric one.



Yesterday I had a really lovely time over at Being Self Sufficient In Wales visiting Dawn and Martin; we had a great chat as usual. We had a proper look round all of the poly tunnels and beds and I picked up a few hints and tips as I always do. I  petted lovely Tess and Sol and tried some goats milk - tastes just like cows milk, really. We had a lovely lunch of quiche with lettuce leaves and radishes picked fresh from the garden.


I came home in time for the boys being back from school, along with a pile of seed trays which will be very useful next year.

                                       

Thanks for a lovely time Dawn and I'll get the biscuit recipe to you soon. 

Back home I had a look round everything. My salad blues I was given by the lovely Tracy from Our Smallholding Adventure are flowering - so pretty a colour -  but I have taken these off so the energy goes to the spuds; as they are a maincrop variety they will be in the ground for a bit longer.

                                                      

I potted on the last of my peppers so that is everything in pots done; anything else will be direct sowing I think but who knows! I was looking around the Poly House when putting the pots to dry and it's funny to see the shelves full of pots again as these won't be used a lot for some time.


On Thursday Jon started work on the kindling and coal stores alongside the main wood store. With the coal this means it can be poured in the top and there will be a board on an angle inside so we can always shovel it out easily. We don't use lots of coal as wood is our main source of fuel for the Rayburn and the woodburner but sometimes it just helps. This project should be finished today.



The small gap to the left may be made into a store the straw for the chicken bedding which would be great as it really doesn't have a dry place to be kept at the moment.

Harry is going to Cardiff with school on Monday morning until tea time on Wednesday so we have decided to get out jobs done this morning and then spend some time in Aber this afternoon. We will miss him and I know Alfie will; even though they have their spats he always says he is bored when Harry isn't here. Bless.

Right, those chooks won't clean out themselves.

Look forward, as always, to seeing what you all get up to over the weekend whilst we are going to be having this wonderful weather. 


*********

I used to keep a Journal of Gratitude but have decided to incorporate it into my blog instead,
so here goes.

I'm grateful we are able to just go to the beach on the hoof. On Wednesday I made bacon butties and we left for Aber when Jon got home from work. He and the boys ate them with chips and a fizzy drink in the sunshine; the boys went in the water and Jon and I just chatted - bliss and just then  I could not have thought of a better place to be.


6 comments:

  1. I'm leaving my potatoes in longer, I'm hoping the weather is doing its magic under the surface! Never had so many strawberries and although they're not your supermarket linear shape they taste delicious. I did give them a good trim in autumn and put lots of manure on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Really looking forward to seeing your dehydrater results.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tania, not long to see the results of the dehydrator. Eeek!

      Delete
  2. You have a very blessed life style and I know how much you love it. Enjoy every second 🙂
    Interested to see the toms went in whole, I am going to try it ! Not long now and it'll be all our own food going in. My salad blues are flowering too, can't wait to try them!! We should have them on the same day and compare taste!
    Lovely update there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put the baby toms in whole to start with and then I put a little slit in them as was worried they would explode. All learning as we go along. Yes, can't wait for more plot to plate for us both! I like the idea of sharing salad blue tasting. I have in my diary to see if they are ready around the start of August, when we are back from our hols. Let's make a date.

      Delete
  3. i really likes your blog and You have shared the whole concept really well. and Very beautifully soulful read! thanks for sharing.

    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx