Monday 21 May 2018

#Ilovemygarden and #IloveWales


Good morning.

Its been a great weekend.

On Saturday we finally got ourselves to the Spring Festival at Builth Wells; I've wanted to go ever since we moved here. Part of our journey, which was just over an hour, took us through the Hafod Estate which was gorgeous in the morning sunshine...


Image result for hafod estate images

and then we drove along the Elan Valley which is remarkable; we're really so lucky to live in Ceredigion!

I'd really like to look more into the history of the mines near the Elan valley.



We were parked up at the showground by 9am and I have to say there weren't as many people as I thought there would be but it was great, not too keen on lots of crowds. I was rubbish at taking too many photos I'm afriad, too busy enjoying myself and looking at stuff!

The boys had a go at the shooting range belonging to British Association for Shooting and Conservation


They declared it was easier to shoot the air rifle we have at home!

We saw rare breeds of sheep that were as big as a miniature ponies and goats with five horns, count 'em! There were mahoosive chickens along with gorgeous pigs.

I visited the Smallholders Centre and picked up lots of useful information.



I managed to catch up with Kim Stoddart of GreenRocket Courses and Badly Behaved Gardener fame as she was hosting the Speakers Corner. which was lovely. I popped back later just in time to hear a talk from the Wiltshire Horn Society; they breed sheep which don't need shearing as it malts- very interesting and I had seen these wonderful sheep when we first arrived at the show.

We watched the farriers working on the horses and this chap was very accommodating and just stood there looking wonderful.





We took a picnic and enjoyed it in the shade under one of the huge trees although it wasn't too hot when walking around the stands. (We didn't sit under this one!)



We headed home, seeing these wonderful beasts on the way, 



and were back by about 2.30pm which was great as Jon could get on with his jobs and I could get out into the garden!

**I made sure I sat down at 7pm to watch the royal wedding highlights; I'd managed to avoid any of the screens at the Spring Festival.

Image result for royal wedding

It was just lovely; Harry looked very handsome and I thought Megan's dress was simply gorgeous. I loved the dress James Blunt's missus was wearing, no surprise Posh was in black and not really smiling and of course there was Swooney Clooney!!

Anyhow back to the great outdoors at home. The weekend weather has been perfect, not too hot with a bit of a breeze. I've really enjoyed myself sowing seeds outside for more Dwarf Beans and Climbing Peas as well as some broccoli to go in the Poly House. This photo was taken at the end of last week I think, love it.


I've decided to make the best of the weather and use the Poly House as a pergola sort of thing, what with it being totally al fresco just now! 

We are planning on recovering the PH and putting the glass in after this coming weekend when a major project is finally finished. With the weather being so warm everything seems to be surviving very well at night with some kind of protection and then there's the propagator which is doing a brilliant job - it gets soooo warm inside!


I've ditched some seeds, including Moneymaker tomatoes, which had not germinated as I think the conservatory was just too warm for them. I potted on six of the Sweet Aperitif plants which came from Thompson and Morgan, sowed red n green lettuce and more spring onions in the sink.

This photo was taken at the end of last week I think and I love it; 



everything is coming along great guns; 2nd earlies,



Charlottes (excuse the surrounding weeds)


and the Climbing and Sweet Peas.


I have taken the decision to put a mole trap in the carrot patch. After thinking all was well when there's been no sign for a good few days the beast is back! I hope this will do the trick - thankfully its not going after the radish / parsnip sowings!

Jon has organised me a new outside tap as when the weather is dry and the butts are empty I can't get water to the beds,which I'm chuffed about.

Another titbit of happenings. I've written a small piece for our local, promotional glossy for Aber called EGO; I hope it'll be in the June edition.

Right, after all that went on at the weekend its a bit of an inside day today.The washing is already on the line, one bed changed, the bread is on the go, chooks fed and I'm about to have a brew before my next jobs which include making lemonade for the boys after school.

Looking forward, as ever, to seeing what you've been getting up to over the weekend.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx













2 comments:

  1. We were at Builth as well on Saturday, shame we missed each other

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I thought you'd be there one of the days, hope you both had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx