Sunday 4 November 2018

Moving Forward At Our Best Pace And Keeping Track Of Progress!

That's a title, but it sort of draws a finishing line under some things and for us to start others. Personally I've made the decision to keep this as a diary/record of us and our stuff; I think some people are just too busy to visit other blogs and see what people are getting up to; I know I like to read a couple that really interest me and that's about it so checking if people have commented on my ramblings I think is something that will not now be my main aim, but thanks if you do. It also gives me the opportunity to REALLY ramble on without worrying that people can't be bothered to read it!😃

I've kept my Twitter account for the Airbnb rooms, and I do follow people other than those directly aimed at that, but I'm careful what comes into my feed. From next week I am having a couple of days off social media; I'll take it off my phone meaning I'll have to get the laptop out to use it; not exactly the instant way Twitter is meant to be used but that suits me!

And so...Jon and I had a conversation this morning, at length, about what we are trying to do and where we are just now.

This was triggered by the fact that we've come to the conclusion, after some monitoring our electricity meter is not working as it should. I give 2 meter readings each month, one for the cheaper night rate and one for the more expensive day time right. However we have discovered the meter is switching to the low rate at the wrong time of the day - we believe it should correspond with the times given to us by our energy company or how can we expect to make the most of the cheaper rate period? I'll be talking to them tomorrow to get something sorted but we've also arranged to have a smart meter installed at the end of the month. I was against these as the older generations of them meant they were not compatible when you switched energy company but this has now been changed so that is good.

On the back of this we know that it costs approximately £350 per year to use an emmersion heater; as we have this turned on in the Summer only and run, at the most, 2 baths a day and I wash up a couple of times it seems a huge amount of money. Soooo we are going to start keeping the Rayburn lit through the Summer months as well as the Winter. This may sound to some people like duh! we should have made this decision from the get go, but you live and learn. I think for most people energy is the biggest outlay each month.

The energy issue has lead us to think that we have taken our eye off the ball a little recently when it comes to the reason why we moved to Wales and what our aims were. It was never about living what is often described as a frugal life. It was about being self-sufficient and self-reliant in the main, getting back to basics on our little homestead; saving money by not wasting money is our goal along with generating an income so that Jon does not have to work outside of the home.

We are not an extravagant family but our boys will never go without. However they are taught where money comes from and that we can't always have what we want when we want it. However, generally in our house everything comes to he/she who waits and that always works for us!

I talked in my last post about extending our growing area for next Spring and that is very exciting. I'm now working on the layout for all the growing areas because, heavens to Betsy, if I can't supply the four of us with a really good amount of food with the space we are going to have then I don't know what!

So, we're keeping our focus on the job in hand, to reach our goals as we make them, to be are here doing what we signed up for and knowing that we really are, for us, living the dream.

Onwards and upwards!



6 comments:

  1. Hello Louise, What an interesting read. As a mybe addition to your veg patch you may consider New Zealnds Spinach. It is very easy to grow and grows all spring/summerseason long. Even now I can pick the leaves. It is a bit more fleshy than ordinary spinach. It is a plant and you pick the leaves, the plant grow along, It becomes very busy and needs some space.
    But (I live in the Netherlands) it handles our weather very well. Even this very dry summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Wendy. I did grow perpetual spinach this year and really enjoyed using it in stir fry dishes. Maybe this is the same thing...

      Delete
    2. I looked into perpetual spinach but it is def not the same as New Zealand spinach ;-)

      Delete
  2. Electricity is the bane of my life and I hope after we have survived the renovations to the house we can look again at renewable energy, I am not convinced on the solar panel thing but wind energy interests me. We shall see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing them when complete and you have come out the other side! We are not too sold on the idea of solar panels on a massive scale but maybe for smaller projects.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx