Sunday 23 December 2018

Two Days To Go To The Big Ho Ho!!

Well, we're nearly there!

I normally post more here about Christmas and the festivities than I have this year but I think I've been putting a bit more on Twitter.... so I'm just having a little round up of how we got to where we are today.

When we first moved into the house I made this rustic star from wood taken from the ceiling of the living room - can you believe it? If you'd seen the state of the ceiling you would!



The front door is now adorned with my heart shaped wreath with added holly and greenery from the garden; my husband's cousin made the angel.





In the kitchen I love to have things to try and make the microwave more interesting....


I normally buy a large poinsettia but I saw these tiny ones in Lidl to go with the white plant and couldn't resist. I love to have an arrangement on the kitchen table for meals but like to be easy to move it easily if needed,


In a previous post I mentioned a pompom wreath I was making well.... ta da!


I'm really pleased how it turned out!

It has to be said my boys are not fussed about my lovely advent calendars but I look forward to slotting the little characters or images in each day.







I brought the greenery up from the cellar yesterday. I love using fresh decorations and  have it in lots of places, too many to show but I really like the dresser in the kitchen this year.


Makes this year include truffles but they're not rum ones, I've gone for Gluhwein flavoured! I first made these with my mum when I was about, not sure how old! I don't think we'll eat all of them on Christmas Day so they'll go on the dessert table for the little 'soiree' we have with our neighbours on Boxing Day.


Also these are a new thing for this year, ice cubes with cranberries in them ready to go in my cocktails and guest drinks - can't wait to use them.


I had a go at icing? biscuits for the first time to give to the teachers at my youngest's school.



They're a bit splodgilicious but I like 'em - made it to school on the bus in one piece,bonus!

This morning we have been both inside and out doing jobs so that tomorrow, Christmas Eve, only has one task on its list which is to fetch the turkey. Gutters have been cleared out after the rain, logs have been chopped and stacked near the Rayburn and the log burner, I've readied the last room for Airbnb guests next weekend, last washing is on, our beds are changed and the cake is decorated; simple but with a little edible glitter which I am LOVING this year!


I think that about covers it.

Ooh... the sloe gin I have in the cellar. I took a look at it the other day and it wasn't ready as I thought it still had the aroma of too much gin and not enough sloe! Maybe we'll have it for New Year.

So this will be my last post for a while so may I wish anybody reading this a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year and, in the words of Greg Lake - 

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear.


Lou.xx





5 comments:

  1. I still have lots to do, but it'll get done. Step-daughter and son-in-law Christmas Eve at our house, Christmas Day with my family tomorrow at niece's house, 25 miles away, and Christmas with both step-daughters, their sweet husbands, and two grands at the other step-daughter's New Year's Day, which happens to be our 25th wedding anniversary! It's the third marriage for each of us; looks like we finally got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all a lovely family Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and wishing you and your family a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx