Saturday 27 April 2019

Easter Was Crazy!

Hi there!

Easter weekend was crazy as both our Airbnb rooms were busy from Thursday until the last guests left on Tuesday; this is the first Easter we have been soooo busy. We had some lovely guests who brought with them dogs and vintage cars. The car was a 1934 Talbot and its owners were taking part in an event at Devil's bridge.



So I've been catching up with washing and ironing as well as getting the rooms ready for our own visitors who came yesterday. The boys don't go back to school until Tuesday but uniform has been in the ironing pile to make sure that all is ready. Me and the boys went to town on Thursday for the barbers and had lunch then did the food shopping so I could come home to finish both rooms. 

Another job I've had was to clean the bathroom from top to bottom. Being an old house the walls are very thick and it isn't a quick job to put in an extractor fan so we have to keep an eye on any mould spots, also in readiness for our visitors; we plan to install the fan some time this year.

I baked an almond pound cake and iced it yesterday ready for having with tea and coffee for my friend who arrived yesterday afternoon.



I also made an apricot tear and share scone to be served with chutney and apricot Stilton as part of anti pasta as Jon's cousin and her fella weren't getting to us until 9pm for supper and drinks.

We had a great evening with fantastic food, some guitar playing a singing before taking ourselves off the bed far too late! We are just about to head into town for some lunch and hopefully Storm Hannah, who arrived this morning, will have calmed down a bit by the time we get there.

Now enough of inside so here are photos of how things are coming along in the poly house and the garden. 

Starting with the poly house here are my courgettes Tondo di piacenza; they're going great guns! I grew these last year to about the size of a tennis ball.



I'm growing a variety of Squash called Butterbush this year to be grown in containers and they'll be planted in one of my big tyres.


Now the Meteor peas are growing really well but I'm not going to pick them yet; I'm slightly concerned as I'm supposed to be planting my cucumbers and aubergines in the poly house bed.

My tomatoes are a little bit behind some people's but never mind; I'm growing Ailsa Craig, Gardener's Delight, Red Alert, OutdoorGirl, Cuor Di Bue and Yellow Delight!



Leeks for the first time seem to look like they should; I've sown another tray, too. 


Oh, I have a third variety of courgette which is Goldena; I loved growing these yellow ones last year as they look great when pickled with radishes and in stir fries!


I moved one of the strawberry plants from the bench into the poly house and it has flowers!


Here are my first early spuds Swift on the right with the radishes peeping through.


Bye for now.

Lou.xx






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx