Sunday 7 April 2019

Weekend Work? No, Homestead Harmony!

Hi!

This weekend we had some fantastic weather so we made the best of it with us all doing our bit where we could.

Yesterday I had an early jaunt to Aber to take Harry into Aber as he was boating with the cadets. I came home and as we had Airbnb guests due in the afternoon I made sure the room was ready. We had to head back into town to run a few errands, pick up Harry and grab a quick bite to eat.

Once home Jon and Harry went down to the field for logs and they split and stacked more wood to add to our supply for next winter. Funny, on our little homestead as with lots of other people, in Winter we prepare for Summer and in Summer we prepare for Winter. Alf and Harry were helping today.



Alf and I headed to the poly house.things are looking great in there at the moment. 



We set about potting on the last two sunflowers Pacino and a few courgettes Tondo di Piacenza. 

We also sowed butternut squash Butterbush - I'm growing this smaller variety in one of the big tyres this year and it also stores well - and Alf filled up water bottles and watering cans. A few more kale seeds were added to the small bed outside where it IS showing signs of life from the first sowing.

We had a bigger job as we needed to lay membrane in the bottom of the third veg bed, I think I've shown this image before so sorry for that. Then we spread out the compost which had been in the now removed raised beds; this didn't take too long then I also put a barrow full of my own compost - always very satisfying to make and use your own goodness; the bed does need a bit more to fill it completely. 




Quite a satisfying job. I think the first thing I'm going to put in there at one end are the second lot of Meteor peas I've sown and have growing in a drainpipe in the poly house. 

Talking of the peas, look, I have pods! 



This is very exciting as I checked my diaries and I sowed these on October 22 lasy year and successfully overwintered them in the greenhouse; they were then planted in the poly house on January 17. 

Today with a little help from Alf I've planted my 2nd early spuds, Charlottes.



These are in bed 2 which is in the far right corner of my little patch of paradise.

Jon came back from the field after chopping some of the trees to get the trailer and said I needed to go with; I took these photos of just at the gate where he has taken down the trees. 


The stream is to the left of the gate....


and this is the view with the gate behind you and the field itself is a few minutes walk down this way and spreads out at the bottom. 











This is the map of the space lined in red with the narrow end to the right being where the stream is and the main gate



My last job of the day was to level out the main veg patch using some of my compost; its matured nicely....

and the beds are all looking great ready for the fun and games of the coming season. 


I'm so very excited about getting them full of edibles!

Right, that's my little round up finished.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx






6 comments:

  1. My things are coming along nicely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. It is always a VERY exciting time!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely part of the world you live in. I checked out your AirBNB and it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill, we love living here and thank you for your kind words about the Airbnb.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx