Wednesday 9 October 2019

Stuff, memories, bad parent?

Hi.

This is a really quickly thrown together post as I am just listening to something on Radio 4 about being organised, or not.

It made me think about other things.

The other day we were trying to remember where the photos were from our trip to Lapland in 2012. I can't find them. I thought they were on a memory stick but no. They used to be on my eldest's laptop but we bought him a new one.

Jon said it didn't matter because we have the memories and I loved that he said that.

I read, and have written here before I think, about, a book called Stuffocation.

In a nutshell it talks about spending time on experiences and not stuff. That we just have too much stuff and it leads to minimalism and ultimately me selling my wedding dress because on that occasion I did of course have photos of the day, and I know it was one of the best days of my entire life.

I am really a very organised person but I still have some things lying around that should be dealt with. These are generally items to do with my children. I no longer keep every school book they ever wrote in, just the yearly reports we get. But I still have their first, favourite toys, baby grows they came home from hospital in, their blankies from when they were young, stuff like that. I also have a box for each of them which contain the red books from the doctor, baby teeth and hair in envelopes and lots of other things.

Would I be a bad parent if I didn't keep SOME of these things, especially when my eldest is now 13 and taller than me and my youngest is quite easily able to take care of a school playground bully?

I guess this isn't to do with organisation but the stuff thing. 

How do other people feel about the things they carry with them? 

Do you think the wrench would be just too much and the guilt just too heavy if you threw out the first finger painting your children ever did?

Bye for now.
Lou.xx

6 comments:

  1. Ah . . . "stuff" . . . having been going through cupboards and drawers recently (in case we move in the not-too-distant future), I know just where you are coming from as I too (like many mums) still have Easter cards and the like made by my now very grown up children. They have stayed for the moment, but I can imagine if it was my kids going through this "stuff" it would all be binned instantly! Perhaps I need to be more objective . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a tricky thing. Parental guilt is ongoing! Good luck with the house.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept a huge box for each daughter, and when they settled I gave them each their box, eldest daughter just put hers into her attic, BUT younger daughter opened a bottle of wine and spent a whole afternoon looking at all her childhood memories, she only kept about half of her stuff, but the afternoon was perfect for her, she loved every moment. So I suggest keep things for them, pass them on to them when they are old enough to love their memories.
    My stuff I have sorted down to a small amount, I can't stand the clutter, but a few things I won't part with. I have a huge memory box, which is being added to by grand children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a good idea. Like that you are keeping things for your grand child.

      Delete
  4. I spent an afternoon recently, halving my memories into one (large) box. We have just celebrated our Ruby wedding and I found a bunch of wedding congratulations cards from then (40 years ago). I chucked the cards from all the people I could no longer remember. I mean, who was 'Ann'? With the kids stuff I had a family dinner and laid out a heap of their old drawings, report books and other things. We had a lovely few hours of reminiscing and laughing and they took what they wanted from their respective piles. These days we are saving memories in a different format. My daughter-in-law set up an e-mail account for one of my granddaughters and we e-mail letters and photographs to that account that she can look at when she is older. Also, I have a book that I have handwritten, addressed to all my grandchildren. I have written about my early years, what it was like to grow up in the sixties and seventies with all the trends, fashions and music. I have also included the major events that have happened in my lifetime, such as the first moon landings. They may or may not be interested as they grow older, but it is something I felt I needed to do. I wish I had something similar from my own grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds a fantastic way to deal with things, Susan - love the bit about "Ann"!

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx