Saturday 28 March 2020

CHANGE, NOW AND IN THE FUTURE - A positive post.

When I look out of my top kitchen window over our little homestead and beyond, where we live, I am eternally grateful for many reasons  However I am even more thankful because, to be honest, just now I can forget about what it going on elsewhere for a little while. 

This doesn't mean I am not considering those wonderful people doing amazing things for us all, but it does my health good just to stop and enjoy what me and mine have now and then. Since my last post, which was just 10 days ago, many things have changed a great deal and we are all dealing with and experiencing a very different way of life. 

The boys have now been off school for 2 weeks, I am coping quite well with their home schooling as the eldest just gets on with stuff but the youngest needs a little more encouragement when it comes to focus. However they have also been making the best of the good weather, as I tell them at any time when we get sun, by going on their bikes but they are careful and keep a VERY good distance because social isolation is not top of everyone's list! Plus they are doing outside chores in between school work like collecting the eggs, feeding the hens and orphan lambs - the three amigos - which we now have in the garden, and they've fixed my wonky main veg bed ready for the growing season. 

Jon is still going to work but practising social distancing which is quite easy when he works in an outside sawmill. Apparently he is classed as a key worker because the company provides important help regarding animal/stock management through timber products. He feels they may close at some point because of the number of deliveries/orders they have coming in and out at times but we will see.

I was very flattered the other day when Tracy of Our Smallholding Adventure suggested I write a post about how I organise my kitchen. (By the way she has a fab new post there; we are two peas in a pod when it comes to this sort of thing.) Some people are comparing life now to how it was in the war years and I agree, but at the same time not trying to tell people who did live through WW1 or WW2 how it was for them. However, I was going to write something a little different but right now I think we're all having to be more adaptable in these challenging times, but I think it CAN be character building, so my post has been adapted, too. When you have to change your life it gives you the chance to realise what you REALLY can do without, how you can substitute items for things you are used to and that in the end it just doesn't matter most of the time. This doesn't just apply to what goes on in the kitchen, I think people will decide what really matters to them once things begin getting back to normal and I frankly can't wait! We can already see pollution has been affected by people not travelling so much, water in the canals of Venice is clearer and maybe the thinking of people will not be so tainted when we come out the other side. 

Back to the kitchen. I'm constantly checking the things we've made and put in the freezer or the supplies of things we have in stock that are fresh or in cupboards etc. Variety in our meals is something we are still achieving; we don't have to eat boring meals as long as we concentrate on flavour and the way we use the ingredients we have.

So, I've mentioned in a previous post that we were lucky enough to get to our local wholesalers before things became really serious regarding #stayhomestaysafe. We stocked up on some great staples which has been a total bonus and along side these as I said before, there are things we haven't/can't get for love nor money, namely plain/bread flour so the self raising flour we bought - 16kg of it..

is being used for everything from bread without yeast, pizza bases, sweet bakes, cakes and makes. I've now used up any bread or plain flour I did have and this loaf was made yesterday with the last of it, half and half of plain and SR - came out well, just with there was more!

Bread products in general are a real issue so I am resigned to making fresh Piadina, which I've been harping on about on social media a bit, but it is fantastic and so easy. 
It comes from one of Jamie Oliver's books which I love and is well used; it is a great book to use at this time showing us how to Shop Smart Cook Clever and Waste Less - full of use it up ideas!


This can be used for both savoury and sweet meals. I'm also going to dig out a recipe I have for biscuits instead of buying more cream crackers when the current supply runs out to go with soups and for snacks. I used to make soda bread a lot but SR flour doesn't come out as well as even regular plain flour... But, if you have curry you can make simple flat bread and those can also be used for sandwiches or with meat fillings for main meals.

I had to fetch a prescription on Wednesday so went to our local farmers co-op and the fruit and veg shop along side which I have used in the past. This was before I had a panic attack at another shop, just getting to my car before I fell into floods of tears after an old man wanted to hold the door open for me. I then broke down again at the fruit and veg shop about which the people were lovely. It was a surreal experience as I'd not been into Aber since March 12 or to anywhere else beyond the village shop and things outside the house had changed a lot at that point. I feel the anxiety came on as it was a shock to me, even though we live within village life that doesn't have lots of hustle and bustle, that things were so eerily quiet. I'm very happy that we must not go out unless absolutely necessary because when I DO need to go out I know I'll feel safe because I don't have to go to a big town and I know the set up of the shops. We're also getting a weekly delivery of fantastic, local meat from the butcher in the same place so very pleased with that, too, for example these chops. It is great to support local businesses just now.

Therefore from my recent shopping trip I bought items to go along side frozen items and dried goods we already have. For example I can always make crumbles and cakes so have bought lemons for a bit of flavour when I don't have fruit to include in a recipe and apples to make a big pudding which will last a couple of days. Shortbread is interesting when made with SR flour as turns out slightly cakey but very tasty topped with jam!

Nothing is going to waste in the kitchen. Veg odds and ends go into a pot to be made into soup; the huge leek I bought had the tops removed to go with potato, some carrots of which we have tonnes! as this is another thing be bought at the wholesalers, a couple of spuds and some seasoning and voila, lunch today was said soup with some additions from the fridge.












Jon is chief pie maker and this beauty was a mince monster he made last week. Due to the meat, veg and spuds in it, a slice doesn't need too much extra veg on the side - a slice each and four in the freezer.

Now to sowing and growing, are you still with me? I've started as normal, no panic here as we have to watch out for that last cold snap of the year but the conservatory is doing a great job helping things germinate - tomatoes, peppers, dwarf beans, annual flowers, marigolds, 2 varieties of beetroot. In the garden the first early spuds are in along with some hardy red and green lettuce and spring onions. The exciting news is that I have today ordered a poly tunnel from feel good uk; this is just fab as I've always wanted one. Jon and I have come to the conclusion, perhaps as a big number of people, that should anything else happen as we are currently experiencing we want to be able to take care of ourselves as MUCH as possible. So I am busy making sure I know what will go inside and out of the tunnel to maximise what we have and what we can produce. The other thing we have had plans for, forever, is pigs; we're lucky enough to have a field which is just over three acres in size and only ten minutes down the road. With getting the Airbnb listings off the ground effort and funds have not been available but we think next year is the perfect time to have them.

So that is where we are up to right now and our ideas to get through the next few months. Then how our plans will hopefully pan out later. It is a difficult time but we WILL come out the other side with renewed vigour, hope and a future changed for many of us.

Take care, stay safe and I would love to hear about how you are living through now and your plans for then.

Bye for now,
Lou.xx

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your panic attacks. Anxiety isn't fun. I've been looking for recipes for things that don't require flour and ideas to keep meals interesting. I've always tried to use up food and substitute things if I don't have the ingredients. So far we have what we need. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen. Thanks, not been struggling with them a whole lot but that day was pants. I enjoyed writing my post. Stay safe. X

      Delete
  2. What a LOVELY post Lou. You and I are fortunate in being far from the madding crowd and where we live means we can switch off a bit from the awfulness elsewhere in the cities and across the country.

    I haven't had a panic attack - yet - but probably only because I have a bottle of brandy in the cupboard and when I feel myself getting flakey I pour myself a very small amount and add lemonade and my "brandy shandy" helps to calm me down again. It helps to keep busy and there is LOTS to do out in the garden to get it pretty and productive and I find I can still dig!!

    We bought a polytunnel back in January - came to put it up last week and found the vital parts -stretchers between the uprights - missing, and the company can't replace them. We have a refund and a spare cover, but can't find one the same size in stock that the cover will fit! I am all for buying another one that this spare cover won't be any good for but Tam thinks we should hang fire a couple of weeks until stocks are replenished. There seems to be an absolute run on them though, and in two weeks' time perhaps only the really expensive ones will still be listed . . .

    My storecupboard has finally come into it own - Tam was complaining not that long ago about my giant 10Kg bag of bread flour, she has had to eat her words since!!

    I am sure we are all being quite adventurous with using what we have got in store now. My husband is a fussy devil though, so we have to make sure we have things in just for him!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCk16sC3dP0- this is nature sounds (and river) and is what I have on in the background to calm me down (it's beautiful to watch as well. So tranquil.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB. Thank you for a lovely reply.I'm just in the middle of organising a meat order then I'm heading out to Tregaron for supplies then that will be me for a while. Keep on with the nip of brandy as it is obviously helping; I have a bottle of sherry left over from Christmas if required but Jon and I sometimes have a couple of beers at the weekend! I'm just getting into being outside again; really lost of mojo a while ago as you may remember. The order for the poly tunnel was confirmed yesterday but not definite when it will arrive, of course, so have been looking at best ways to use it.Hope you get yours up and running soon, still time to make good use of them, breath, no panic as I try to tell myself. A Facebook help page has been set up near me so I was kindly fetched a bag of bread flour yesterday with which I made two loaves and it will stretch to another two with help from some SR! Thank you for he nature sounds, I will find some time to myself to listen to that. Take care BB and stay safe with you and yours. This too will pass.xx

      Delete
  3. Oooh where to start!! I LOVE this post, all of them but especially this one! Yey.
    Let me try to remember, so many things to comment on.
    I thought we were already in a good place to be fairly self reliant but there is SO many things we as a family and myself as responsible for making food for the table, are learning from this experience. I just want to capture as much as possible and ensure we don't go back over when this is over. I think it will change how a lot of people think, I think a lot of people have realised how being totally reliant on others (supermarkets, people, whatever) makes you feel very vulnerable in these situations. Can you imagine how hard this is for some? We are making sure we bake all of these ideas in to our daily routine as best as possible.
    I hear you on the worry of seeds and cold snaps, our last frost was end May last year. You're doing amazingly with yours already.
    So exciting on the polytunnel news, how fab to be able to plan that whilst you're waiting for it to arrive.
    Carrots LOL
    So how will this change your habits moving forward, will you continue with the butchers, shopping local, what about buying UK based items only?
    Thanks for the reminder on the flat breads, I've noted that one down. Meal planning is out of the window for me right now with using what's in the freezer plus what's going on. Maybe I can start a little again.
    The SR flour without yeast for bread will be invaluable as people will also run out of yeast as well as bread flour.
    Hugs on your panic attach, as you have already from me x I must admit, I had similar last night when I felt my chest tighten when I went to the town to click and collect. I didn't even get out of the car!!!
    PS I don't think any meals are boring if you enjoy them.
    As you know I love your kitchen and your points raised around it remind me of how homely it feels, I wish I was there having a cuppa with you now. Sat in my kitchen typing this which I also love as you know.
    Interested on a recipe for the biscuit crackers? :D
    Finally just a comment on something that's coming out of this for me, the more I think about it, is about keeping things simple, easier to maintain then I guess....it seems really important to do this for me at least, right now. What's important, what's not, keep it simple and get shot of the rest. Soo many great thoughts and ideas, take care Lou xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx