Tuesday 17 March 2020

Peace Time, Home Front Feelings And A Change Is Coming.

Good afternoon.

The title of my post is sort of how we are feeling in our house, as much as we are able to empathise with those who lived through the war like our parents. We've never experienced anything like this and seeing images of the UK and European cities without their tourist visitors and general public not being on the streets so much is so strange. The impact the virus is having on every aspect of society is remarkable; the economy in so many ways, social isolation, the NHS obviously and so many others.

My boys are now off school for the minimum 14 days as of yesterday, originally because my eldest developed a new cough on Saturday and we followed the 7 day rule. I'm happy for them to be at home and we are lucky to be managing just fine. 

We're not being lazy. Whilst we wait for access to school resources we are busying ourselves with themes they were covering in classes; ironically Alfie is covering the Black Death and Harry the industrial revolution.They wanted to do something and as far as I'm concerned, and my boys are no different, children like structure and routine.



Although I'm not sure looking after an orphan lamb constitutes routine!


Jon and I have said for a while that the speed of technology is at some point going to make people say no, stop! I think some people will be looking for a simpler life in the years to come. The way we can drop an email, press a button and have what we want at our doorstep immediately is perhaps something people will not want in the future; as Tracy described it, the expectation society - people wanting what they want - now! Pause The System was a demonstration I saw on TV yesterday and I did think, yes!

They are very strange times in which we are living with the new levels of guidance we're now receiving on a daily basis. Talking to Tracy of Our Smallholding Adventure and Jon I said I really do feel after Coronavirus, or AC as opposed to AD as Radio 4 has just described it, the world will be a very different place. I think people will be more prepared for anything else which hits them in the future, maybe learning new skills. Just today I've been baking bread with SR flour because of a trick learned from Jon (former baker/chef) like using a sour dough starter; only bought SR flour as can be used for anything really. The big bag of oats we bought is providing us with lots of oat bakes instead of bought biscuits and we'll be enjoying home made porridge and not 2-minute sachets.
I know a lot of people who will read this already grow their own and are doing their best to be self reliant for reasons other than the current climate. This may be something that will become more popular, if people can understand and come to the realisation that life is not going to be the same for a long time, if what is being said is true. It was mentioned on Twitter yesterday about a new Dig For Victory initiative; not sure there would be a traditional form of rationing but there may be proper restrictions at times.

It is such a difficult time, looking after your own whilst having empathy and sympathy for those you can't help and being there for those you are able to give some assistance to.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx






10 comments:

  1. All the best to you and your family. These are tricky times right now. Oat bakes are a good idea. I enjoyed your post it's hard to keep upbeat but we must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen and best wishes to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. I hope our consumer world does change, we waste so much, we have been living a simpler life for years, and enjoy the comfort from having less. Glad your boys are at home, my grandson is ill so not at nursery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PP. When we moved to Wales that was our idea. We wanted to live without less and although we made efforts I'm ashamed to say it has taken the current shift in the world to make us realise that we REALLY have the ability and the drive to do it. Next challenge is keeping on top of the home schooling, but a challenge I relish. Take care.xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post, putting things in perspective beyond the Coronavirus infection spread. You will smile if you saw my kitchen table today - as last night I blew the dust off two Wartime Cooking books, and already had the Kitchen in the Hills recipes out to check over. We are being frugal with the supplies we have here (I had been stocking up before Christmas, with the idea that the approach of the Brexit ties being cut might lead to shortages.) Seems like I did the right thing.

    My mum used to make a lovely crusty loaf of soda bread, which I used to cut a slice of whilst still hot! (If only the rest of her cooking was as good, bless her!)

    As you know, we have been on the market a while now, and I am hoping that after Coronavirus the demand for a different lifestyle will finally attract the right sort of people to our lovely old farmhouse. We got the old plastic greenhouse up this week and have seeds started in it already.

    Keep calm and grow lots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB. I enjoyed writing this post, thank you.

      I read about you self-isolating so hope all is well at your end regarding that. Love that you are going WW2 style with your cooking. I am finding new ways to use potatoes and have potato scones and cakes for brekky on my list currently! Soda bread is in the oven as we speak.

      I do hope in a way the demand for a simpler life style assists you with your move. I am getting a few more seeds in this week/weekend in preparation for planting out next month with any luck - fingers crossed for no frost later than that.

      Take care.xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Lou! Started reading yesterday and wanted to comment today, so just taking a little break from work and having a cuppa enjoying your blog. If nothing else, this whole situation has made us in my little family sit up and be thankful for a lot of things plus think about what else we can do to be prepared for these kind of situations. As you know, I love reading about how people managed and coped in the war time and this in a way feels like modern day war time feelings. Some people say that's OTT, well for me it isn't. Your post is great, I have really enjoyed it and could I ask you share the SR flour/bread "specil secret" in a bit more detail in a post - it's great but I am clueless here as not a strength of mine!! My kids are off too as you know and a key for us really is putting a structure in place for them to follow. It keeps things orderly as my 2 especially would have a free for all without it. There's a lot of good stuff coming out for home schooling which is good for me. Life really isn't going to be the same again, not should it be in my view. I'm going to check your dig for victory link - thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope! Not OTT at all for us either!YEs, structure is so important with kids especially at times like this,even though so unprecedented. They are actually enjoying the change of lifestyle which we're chuffed about.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the world will be a different place after this.

    The schools here in my province of Saskatchewan in Canada are closed down indefinitely as are the schools in the province our oldest son teaches in.

    There are very few cars on the streets, and grocery shopping is an adventure. I really feel for those who have never baked a loaf of bread, a tray of buns or really cooked from scratch.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. I understand what you mean about those who have rarely cooked from scratch. Stay safe, yes I find having to go out quite stressful and made me anxious when I needed to go out earlier this morning.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx