Tuesday 27 October 2020

Simply Sowing And Growing.

Hello all.

Here is the usual opening to my post. Things are constantly changing all over the UK with the pandemic so with best wishes all I can say is I hope you're staying safe and doing what you need to in order to continue as best you can under the circimstances. 

I was trolled on my Twitter feed the other day; accused of being selfish and middle-class, hiding away from the virus just because I said I was extremely grateful I had somewhere I could keep safe with me and mine, soooooo I'm just keeping on keeping on. 

Today I've had a couple of exciting deliveries. The first thing was my order of seeds from the online company Simply Seed, the postage for just seeds is a flat rate of £1.39 and the prices of the seeds is very reasonable.

The seeds I have ready for next year are:

Carrot Autumn King 2

Leek Mussleburgh

Leek Tornado

Beetroot Bolthardy

Radish French Breakfast

Cucumber Femspot

Tomato Tumbing Tom Red

French Bean Montano

Turnip Purple Top Milan

Khol Rabi Delicacy Purple

Salad Leaves Musclun Mixed

Butternut Squash Butterbush

Courgette Sure Thing

There are a couple that I still want but will hopefull get them soon.


Only issue is that I got a little excited and ended up ordering three packets of Bolthardy Beetroot, two types of leek and two packets of Radish French Breakfast!😂 Never mind!

The other delivery was the polythene covering for the poly house and my boys have been removing the batons for us to, hopefully, get it on over the weekend weather depending. 

Woop woop!

And then yesterday I took a little look around the poly tunnel.


I have a few flowers on my Meteor dwarf peas which is great. No idea when I might get pods on them; the things in the poly tunnel are a bit experimental - Tracy over at Our Smallholding Adventure knows all about that.

The carrots I have sown, two lots, are germinating and I may get some through in who knows! 


Very pleased that my sweet peas have popped up.


I also wanted to share some photos of the delicious Cawl we had for tea last night. It was made from the left overs from our Sunday roast. 



The meat was from a lamb Jon butchered; a long time since he used his chef training to that degree. It was delicious, served in wooden bowls as dictated by tradition, along with some of my homebaked bread and Welsh cheese.




Well, that is all my ramblings for now I think. The weather is blustery but bright here today so not unpleasant, especially with the Rayburn warm on my back.

Take care,
bye for now.

Lou.xx








 



4 comments:

  1. Eeey it's been an age since I made time to sit and comment, I'm really not sure where the time goes! But you know that as well as I do! I'm glad you mentioned simply seed, thank you for that, I ordered off them once and since forgot so I'm going to take a look again. They're super reasonable as you say. Oh and ignore the oxygen thieves on twitter, these people live for it and are beyond pathetic.
    Are you just doing the tumbling tom toms? Ha? Made myself laugh - doesn't take much.
    I reckon you will definitely use the radish next year, and the beetroot will keep I'm sure.
    That will be a great project once the PT is covered, can't wait to see progress on that.
    Haha my autumn growing can be described in its entirety as experimental! Can't wait to see what happens about the carrots too. Sweet peas tomorrow for me! Yours are looking amazing.
    The lamb looks amazing, dare I say I can't wait until we have some of ours (not like we don't have enough!). I love that you respect the tradition of the wooden bowls, that's lovely. Lovely catch up with what's going on in your neck of blog land, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah hi chic. Yup, very pleased with Simply Seed. Re the toms I'd really like to do the Tumbling Toms plus some regular salad ones, a large plum variety and maybe one more. I am so excited about the pt however the weather is not super over the weekend - we'll just have to get out there in the dry spells. Cannot WAIT to sort it all out, organise and get my bunting up again! I know! Thanks for checking in, at least somebody does!!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that's a good spread of seeds for next year. Here we are beginning to abandon this garden (I am trying to tidy the flower borders as we get dry weather though). Looking forward to seeing your newly-clad polyhouse.

    Ignore the troll. Don't feed them! Live your life as you do and ignore the idiots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that BB. Hope to get the poly hiyse finushedcthis weekend. X

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx