Thursday 11 March 2021

Book Review - A Definite Recommendation. Grounded by Liz Zorab Of Byther Farm.





was so keen to read Grounded as Liz lives in a similar part of the world to myself and I have thoroughly enjoyed it; the forward was also written by Huw Richards and he brought Byther Farm to life before I'd read a word!

Liz has such determination and grit in achieving her goals and I loved the idea of putting your back to the task whilst facing the achievemnent. I particularly loved her honesty in that, even now after the farm is establshed in so many ways, she still has doubts about her gardening abilities - I am jam packed full of those so just great to read that.

Liz shares the personal obstacles she has overcome and explains how the farm plus working/living in line with the seasons has bolstered her health. By giving herself the permission to take the time to recharge herself has been so very beneficial, something we could all try at times.

I was so impressed with the size and success of Byther Farm in what to me seems a short amount of time so that inspires me to push myself a little. However, I know the work needed was hard to reach those goals and I loved that I would also read about a task or project and think to myself "oh, I could do that" but also thought at times "I'm glad I do that already".

The hints and tips throught the book, often in side boxes to the main text, were numerous but I especially liked the outdoor sink area with the recycled water system. Ideas for perenial veg were wonderful as the book is not so much a "how to" rather than this is what did or didn't work, try this, work with what you have, experiment and was also a good introduction to permaculture about which Liz is very passionate.

She, like myself, acquired her polytunnel some time into a new growing year not getting the full benefit until the following year; fantastic to hear ideas for something that can help in real time

Altogether I found this an inspirational book, it made me smile, made me think and encouraged me in my plans for my own garden. Thank you Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx