Tuesday 20 February 2018

Poultry Panic Stations And Other Stuff!

Good afternoon.

The weather here in mid-Wales is glorious today - 


quick translation: mae hi'n braf means it is fine.


I am currently childless as the boys are on half-term; they are spending half of it with Jon's mum and half with his dad with us fetching them home on Saturday. Jon and I are going out for a SHOCK HORROR meal on our own this week. 

We had guests in our Airbnb room at the weekend and I decided I would make some Welsh cakes in readiness to add to the breakfast. I've made them before but have not always come out too well. However, I'm quite chuffed with my recent effort.

I used the recipe from A Cook's Year In A Welsh Farmhouse, thanks as ever to Sue for sending it to me, by Elizabeth Luard.




Apart from putting in an extra egg by mistake they came out very well.



I bought these tulips at Lidl on Friday to keep me going until my dafffs are blooming.


The main lot of daffs are not in flower yet,



but I spotted this little bunch at the back of the Poly House.


This photo does not do them justice but the carpet of snowdrops has come out, love them, and these ones have come up on their own near the daffs.


Now, this was the chooks doing some free-ranging earlier today. I cleaned them out after lunch and then did a necessary garden job.


It was time to sort out the compost bins so the one completely rotted down was put into one of the huuuge tyres. Nowhere near full but will add some goodness before we get the top soil.




Whilst outside I took a look at the garlic which is coming on well.


Now, back to the chickens. I came inside and was half-way through getting my overalls off when there was a knock at the front door. It was the people who we bought the house from saying the chickens were out! Two had made a break for freedom down the road towards our field and it took us a little while to get them in the enclosure. They were just leaving then called out to say another was at the side of the house and she got it through the gate. I wanted to get them all in the enclosure and shut the gate so went to our neighbours-but-one and thankfully they came to help. We were missing two but found one in the front of the Canolfan across the road! In the confusion I had forgotten how many we actually have so wasn't sure if I was indeed missing the second. I went outside a little later to take photos and I heard this noise behind me and there was the last one; luckily I didn't have too much trouble picking her up.I am now searching the internet for poultry electronic tags!!

The weather is apparently due to change to very cold, again, tomorrow. Hope it's just dry!

Bye for now.

Lou.xx





2 comments:

  1. Ahh I am so pleased it isn’t just my livestock that makes a break for it. With the horses and our geese taking it in turns to bid for freedom, I feel your pain! So pleased they all turned up the little minxes lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't know what I would have done without the neighbours helping out.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx