Wednesday 17 August 2016

Busy Time Ahead So.....

....wish it had been Thursday today.

Before I explain that just to let you know what we have been up to since my last post.

I forgot to mention that on Saturday afternoon I got round to soaking the rhubarb leaves. Already they are looking a bit putrid but I didn't get my nose too close! Those cabbage whites are gonna get it!


On Monday the weather was glorious so me and the boys had our lunch outside.


The boys sat on the logs around the fire pit and I sat under the tree in the shade.


Yesterday, Tuesday, I took the boys and Jake down to the river for an hour so they could cool off in the water. They LOVE it there! We went so we could pick Jon up from work on the way back home.

In the Poly House the tomatoes on the small bush have FINALLY started to turn a little red - my anxiety levels were getting a bit high as I thought it had stopped growing. Phew!

Today, after taking Jon to work, the boys and I went to Aber to do the shopping ready for our guests arriving on Friday evening. Lots of yummy things -  for supper Caeser salad with fresh anchovies, breakfast on Saturday is croissants, smoked salmon and strawberries, then chicken, turnips, pearl barley and such for a lovely Saturday lunch broth. We are out for Tapas on Saturday night then it is a big breakfast on Sunday morning. I thought I should have flowers, too, so treated myself to some lillies; £3.50 at Lidl. Dressed up a big clip-top jar so it didn't look so plain. (I love love love that bunting!)


So, back to wishing today was Thursday. You know when you're getting ready for people to come, you need to get things done but you don't want to clean up too early or make that cake too early? Well, that was me today because I made up the bed in the end room but couldn't complete it because I need a new quilt, I didn't want to make too much of an effort with the cleaning as I have at least one bed to change tomorrow and washing to do, I want to bake a cake but it needs to be fresh for Friday, plus I need two bread loaves - I think you get the picture. Consequently I didn't do much today, which is un-characteristically like me, although the boys and I did clear stones from the garden so Jon can strim it before Friday and I did a wash load.

When Jon came home we discussed the finishing off in the end room and think, if we are going to let it out before October 1, we need to spend a few more pennies, hmmm. Anyhow, I watered everything when it cooled down outside and cut these beauties!


The largest cucumber weighed in at 8.6oz! We will put the cucumber in the Caesar Salad on Friday and have the courgettes as part of our tea tomorrow.

Well, I look forward to a very productive day tomorrow.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx


13 comments:

  1. We have had a lot of cabbage whites about, the cabbage plants are in the green house now with a net over them,shall have to cover them when they go out.The boys are obviously having a great holiday. I love Lilies. No luck with cucumbers for me, just one cucumber and it is a mini variety, never mind xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves are getting stinkier as we go along! I picked another cucumber today, they taste yummy. Hope your other harvests are coming on.x

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a lovely time with your visitors when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greta. Just about done. Last few bits of cleaning and the bathroom to top and bottom after Jon has cleaned himself up after work. So excited!xx

      Delete
  3. That photo of the boys in the water needs a frame, gorgeous memories in the making.....remember when? Yes, perfect x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Tracy. I have a Box of Experiences, an old OXO tin, and I write little notes when we have done things as a family and put them away until we can read them all together at the beginning of next year. Hope some photos will add to the memories but not super at taking family photos.x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with The_Croods - love the boys in the water! Such a perfect summer pastime they'll remember all their lives.❤ Have a wonderful time with your visitors - I envy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the cucumbers, mine are now into a glut, have fun with your visitors :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I plan on giving a go at pickling some when I get a good supply of vinegar. Super excited about our guests!

      Delete
  8. Oh I wish I had a river to cool off in, it's been so hot!! Cucumbers look great

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx