Monday 6 February 2017

Brrrrrrr But Bright, Yesterday!

We were very pleased that the weather was lovely yesterday. It was the kind of day that started off with you needing a coat but after you got into your jobs it soon came off. Jon and the boys were working on the fencing that will edge what will be the parking for the B and B rooms; it looks fab. Still a bit of work to do as I am on creosote duty when we get a dry day and the actual area for parking will have stone chippings down eventually.






Jon then made a start on some steps so we could get down to the chicken house instead of going through the gap at the bottom of the garden. The boys were taking the dug up earth away in the barrows to the other end where we needed to level up the ground at the gap.



Jon decided to take a tree at the end of the chicken enclosure down whilst he had the chainsaw in hand. This of course means more logs, but also immediately, of course, the boys began whittling branches into swords!



I did more work on the fruit patch and I'm really pleased with the effort I have put into it. You can really see how it is coming along now. My Grow Your Own magazine came this week and on the front was an offer for 3 blueberry bushes, all for the price of the p and p at £5.95; sorry Tracy, didn't mean to sound too smug, chic! I was chuffed with this as was exactly what I wanted for that area when it is finished. Photos soon.

I went out to the Poly House on Friday morning - YAY!! with a cuppa of course.



As shopping day was moved to Saturday I had some spare time so I sowed the following: three trays of seeds for beetroot, another spring onions, cucumbers, Italian beef tomatoes and cabbage. On Saturday morning I sowed 2 types of aubergines. I am moving them between the top kitchen window and the conservatory as it has been very sunny in the latter. 

Alfie's group, along with the others at his Stage School, are putting on a production of Thoroughly Modern Millie in June. He is really looking forward to it but also knows there will be a lot of practise and hard work required. God help me if I turn into a Dance Mom!!

I noticed over the weekend that NOW my Poinsettia decides to start growing red leaves!!! 
I will find somewhere for it as i will keep it going until the festive season, sorry for that.



That's all for today.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx

14 comments:

  1. wow that fencing has really made a difference, your garden is coming on great you should all be so proud of what you have achieved, that is a good offer on the fruit bushes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it just. Jon can't stop looking at it!I nearly screamed when I say the front of GYO as it couldn't have come at a better time. I emailed T & M the other day as they said my sweet spud tubers would be here at the end of June, and I thought this was a little bit late, but they assured me this is the right time in readiness for planting?

      Delete
  2. How busy you have all been. Good fencing weather. It looks a nice big area for visiting cars. I've made a start on my seeds too. We had blueberries a while back. The blackbirds loved them. I also had huckleberries. I found the berries bigger and more prolific. Unfortunately, family gardener mistook them for deadly nightshade and dug them out. Might try them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The good weather continued enough for me to do a bit outside today which was great.

      Delete
    2. What are huckleberries? What can you do with them, same as other soft fruit?

      Delete
    3. Yes. You need to cook them though. Found lots of pie recipes at the time.

      Delete
  3. Haha isn't it typical, just after I pay full price for them! Ah well, I shall be getting some of these too as we get through a lot and I can't miss a bargain (strange logic I know).
    Re the sweet potatos, on the T&M website it says they will be dispatched May so must be June planting but it does seem like a short maturity time - I've never grown them so no idea on actuals.
    The fencing looks fabulous! Really authentic.
    Oooh Huckleberries Cheryl....now you have me thinking....
    Have a lovey day Lou and fab photos as always xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can't miss a bargain. My order history on T & M's website says they will be despatched by the end of June and when I emailed them they just said they always send things out at the right time so I shall just have to deal with them when they come. Jon is soooo pleased with the fencing. xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise, I've spent the last couple of weeks reading your blogs from the beginning. You have done so much work on your place in such a short time. Love reading about your family and everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janice. That is so very lovely of you to read so much of my ramblings! Thank you for your kind words and glad you enjoy my blog.x

      Delete
    2. I keep track of all my blogs that I read through Bloglovin but for some reason it just won't accept your blog. Very weird, I've tried for several days now but no luck!

      Delete
    3. Feedly won't accept your blog either. I rely on email notification instead.

      Delete
    4. Sorry to you Janice and Cheryl about my blog. I'm afraid I can offer no techy help other than if people have probs I sometimes suggest deleting then re-following the blog.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx