Tuesday 7 November 2017

Winding Down for Winter

I am definitely in wind down mode regarding the garden as it is very much going to sleep just now - oh you lucky people with poly tunnels or greenhouses that survived the recent spate of storms. I am fairly happily resigned to having completed any overwintering jobs, namely my ever present Pak Choi plus the garlic and onions, and that any other outside jobs will be completed soon with Jon's help.

So to the indoors. I absolutely love this time of the year; being cozy inside, only going outside when absolutely necessary and hunkering down with the curtains shut. I have my seasonal planner at the ready and am adding to it daily to ensure we simply have a wonderful Christmas time. 


There'll only be a few mentions of the C word just now but come December 1st I will, as usual, make no apologies for enthusiasm and festive frolics.🎄🎅

Some time ago Jon went to Bookers, the wholesalers, and on the same trip I asked him to bring me some Atora suet (not sure if other suet brands are available?!) He came home with a catering size box of the stuff! Well, this was last Christmas (oops) so some was used for mincemeat last year and dumplings plus more will be used at the end of the month but in the meantime I've made a batch of dumplings for the freezer ready for winter stews. For the size we like a 200g box of suet made 30 of the little delights so that is a good job done.



Love having things put by in the freezer.



I made my Christmas cakes at the beginning of the month but managed to stupidly delete my photos of them; I am due to start feeding them with a bit of alcofrol, hic, next week so will show and tell then. 

Whist ironing this morning I had the TV on in the bedroom just so I could hear something from where I was. I LOVE the Food Channel, especially at certain times of the year, and there were some Christmas,sorry!, adverts on so started thinking of a few ideas for foody delights; I plan on making a luxurious granola come muesli mix containing tasty nuts and fruit etc. I had listed some things I wanted to include and then I found this recipe - 

Christmas Spice Granola.

I have also been trying to use up the ends of bread loaves but wanted something different to savoury croutons. I decided on cinnamon and sugared ones to freeze for use on the top of puddings.

I cut the bread to the right size, melted some butter then sprinkled the bread with some cinnamon sugar I had made previously plus a little extra. I then popped them in the oven, keeping a close eye, until they were a lovely rich colour. 





Yum, and straight in the freezer before I ate the lot!


Talking of croutons I just remembered I made a lovely dish for the boys. I had some leftover chorizo, combined this with the croutons, some frozen peas then melted cheese on the top.



Ok, better crack on.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx


9 comments:

  1. Never thought to freeze dumplings. What a good idea. Perfect for when coming in late to a slow cooked stew. I might give the cinnamon croutons a go. (I have catering quantities of cinnamon) Do you use them in soups or special puddings....or just as they are as a yummy snack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. It is the first time I have made the cinnamon croutons and plan to have them as pudding toppings. Savoury ones are use on top of things like sausage casserole, tea tonight, and anything else I fancy.x

      Delete
  2. You have such a wonderfully creative mind, I wouldn't have even thought of some of those things, but how lovely. I love Christmas as you know and am feeling full steam ahead now I am able, so I will be right there with you. It's going to be a busy time for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks chic, but you more than have your moments. Yes bring on the Christmas. Ha ha!!

      Delete
  3. Oh man that reminds me of a time I cooked a stew then made dumplings and didn't realise the suet was off (and I mean off!)! I wrecked a perfectly good meal! Much better idea to batch them like this and freeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Me and Jon like dumplings, though I don't eat them all the time, but the boys are not that keen at the moment so I can just pop in a couple for Jon.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see piseth san has found your blog too, wish she would piseth off! Sorry just catching up on your blog as for some reason it doesn't automatically update on my side bar. The croutons look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tania. I agree about Piseth. Ha ha! Some people say that about my blog, not sure why but so happy you are still there.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx