Monday 30 October 2017

Finally!

Finally I dragged my bum outside and got some jobs done yesterday. I have to acknowledge the return of Tracey from Our Smallholding Adventure who shamed me into it after being so flippin' active on her return from hols! I admit to having found it hard to get outside recently and I also am not keen on the way the garden is looking at the moment but such is nature.

I dug over the area where the beetroot had been, gave the failed ones to the chickens then as I knew there was a good chance of frost my Spring cabbage is now out. Due to the state of the Poly House I think I can say they have been hardened off recently! I also covered them with a couple of cloches I had so was pleased to get them in the ground.


I also took up the courgette plant as it had come to the end of its natural, dug over the bed and covered it, using some of the polythene off the Poly House😊 I hope to grow cauliflower here next year. I had covered up the turnips here but took it off later for the cabbage as the turnips were well established; I just hope I get something out of them for a few stews. 


Oh, something I did when we lit the Rayburn; I moved the coffee and tea things from the top kitchen and I really quite like them here. I've swapped the microwave up to the top as I'm doing my best to use the Rayburn for little things like defrosting meat and warming beans for breakfast instead so I don't use the gas and this way the microwave is out of sight!


Now All Hallows is almost upon us we have a few decorations up. These tags come out every year; I made them in 2011 using on this one the orange foil wrapping from a Smarties sweet amongst other bits and pieces. 


This simple candle will dress these cones for a little while until it is turned into a decoration for December.

Here is Alfie carving these two pumpkins all by himself and was very chuffed with the results.


I took the boys to Aber to catch a coach for a trip to Swansea today with Urdd and they won't be back to Aber until 5.45pm; I'm making sausage casserole tonight slow in the Rayburn as I can do other stuff whilst it is doing its thing.

This is not a very interesting post, more of a bit of a record of the time of the year. Jon is doing amazingly well on the second room; bathroom is painted and we have a special backing for the sink which looks stunning so will share some photos when the floor goes down and a few other bits are finished.

I've done a lot this morning, upstairs and down - bread proving, bed changed, kitchen swept and mopped, washer on etc. so once I have the casserole in the oven after lunch I'm not sure how I will spend the rest of the day. Feel like playing hooky with the boys being out during half-term and me being on my own!!

That's it I think.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx





4 comments:

  1. You make me smile lol! You do more than enough without me shaming you into something lol! I LOVE the reuse of the polyhouse material!! It is still doing its job even after being ripped, just differently. Perfect.
    Those cabbage will hopefully stay as snug as they need to now they're in, I still have more to go in, maybe this weekend!
    I don't know if I ever told you but we don't have a microwave, when our old one blew up I didn't replace it and so when we moved here we didn't have it. I haven't missed it and I bet you wo t once you're in the hang of remembering to use Rayburn for microwave things. The cost will be lower too?
    Those decorations are amazing! We have a few things out but sadly no pumpkins this year. Well done to Alfie!! He's done a grand job! All in all, a very INTERESTING post 😉 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said to Jon that I wasn't bothered about getting another one when this packs up. Also we had a dishwasher at the other house but that gave up the ghost before we moved and I didn't want another, plus one wouldn't have fitted here.Thanks, I love the tag decorations, too. I love the idea of bringing them out every year into my dotage and trying to remember what Smarties were. Lol!x

      Delete
  2. Love the decorations. I wish I had some cabbage to put out but it never dies very well. I've got jobs lined up in the garden too. Great pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tania. Thanks, and I looked at mine yesterday and even under the cloche something had eaten at some of them. Daren't look today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx