Tuesday 10 October 2017

Autumn and Other Stuff.


Good evening.

Autumn has definitely arrived and if anybody is a regular reader of my blog you will know I DO like to decorate.

I spotted these fantastic gourds in Lidl and just had to have a couple for this display.

In the living room I have the books I usually put out along with a fabulous card with foxes on from when I took part in a stationery swap.


In the front kitchen window I have put together a basket of Autumnal goodies and I am particularly pleased with this one. (Another fox card.)


Outside the Autumnal weather is properly taking its toll - on the Poly House! There are too many rips and too much damage now to show but this scene greeted me the other morning. These will not be kept on the top shelves anymore but instead be stored in the planters and containers once they have all been brushed and washed out.


The bed inside the Poly House has been cleared of the gherkins and cucumbers...



so is now ready either for new sowings or to be covered. 


Considering the state of the Poly House I think I will be covering it over until Spring!

Outside I have come to the conclusion that the far corner of the veg area is NOT the right place for sweet corn. It has failed miserably; I had plenty of cobs develop but there was just not the sun for them to ripen.


However I did manage to harvest one cob, which out of approx. 19 plants is very sad. I won't be growing it again next year as this was the best spot for a good amount of plants.


A couple of other things that are still growing outside include the Pak Choi, all be it in the rather now shabby looking cold frame; it looks as though it's growing as it should.


My courgette plant seems to still be the gift that keeps on giving!


One thing that was not wind damaged or unripe was this tasty chocolate chip cake I made when baking yesterday. Went down a treat, especially with my friend after we came back from a lovely walk this morning. Have to say I am enjoying the Great British Bake Off more than I thought I would so will be tuning in to that a little later this evening.


Jon has reached plastering stage in the new Airbnb room.




Jon is a great plasterer and has already finished the bathroom ceiling this evening.

As you can see there is not a lot going on at our little homestead just now.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx 

4 comments:

  1. Great plastering, I think you are doing so well. Producing food from your garden is brilliant I never tire of the excitement it brings me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the excitement. Even when some things don't work out right other stuff always does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very fortunate that Jon can plaster as that is an expensive fade to pay for here. We need Jack's room doingwhen we get back and it'll be a painful amount :(. You're doing AMAZING with the air bnb and i wish you best of luck as always with it. I'm sure he will have the playhouse sorted in time for spring or whenever you want it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there, it is an expensive trade if you have to cover it. I am gradually sorting the things in the Poly House where they will survive until Spring and then as you say it will be ready when necessary.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx