Thursday 5 October 2017

Quantity or Quality Time?

Yesterday, as fairly normal, I listened to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2.

The article I was most interested in was about parents who regret they did not spend more time with their children when they were young.

People made comments about there not being things like Skype back in the day so a parent was gone until they came back and that was it.

One father, and it seemed mostly to be father's with the regret, who in later life became a foster parent said he was closer to his foster children than his natural children because of working away when they were young.

Jon and I were very lucky that when I had Harry he took two weeks off work - we had our own business - and I hardly changed a nappy which meant he had some quality time. When both the boys were young we still lived close to our business and although I stopped working with Jon when Harry was born he was always there in the evenings.

One mum said to Jeremy that she has been on maternity leave for the last 51 years! I feel so very lucky that apart from a short time when we first came to Wales I have always been at home for them. I am also lucky that I have always, and continue, been so happy to be what the Americans call a stay at home mum/homemaker. I am never happier than baking, cooking, making comfy the house into a home and just being here for the boys and Jon. I have to say Jon rarely asks me what I've done during the day, I just get on with my thing as he does with his. He also loves working only 10 minutes from home and having the weekends free, although he doesn't have the luxury of a lot of holidays.

I understand that it is a very tricky thing for people to balance having to work to pay the bills and also finding that time to spend with family. I could say certain things here but I would never offend anybody regarding their choice of lifestyle, their aspirations etc. I do think we are quite simple when it comes down to the things we need or want and generally we get there in the end, though we may have to wait and little longer at times. 

If you have the time to use the BBC Iplayer and listen to the article you may find it interesting - just a mascara warning that they played Cat's In The Cradle by Harry Chapin and Slipping Through My Fingers by Abba during the article! Boo hoo!

Bye for now.

Lou.xx

10 comments:

  1. I stayed at home until our youngest was 10 years old, I would have liked to stay longer but I really needed to earn the extra money. I feel for the younger parents these days, they don't have the choice anymore, after their paid maternity leave, they have to go back as it takes two salaries to run a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it can be hard for young families. However I do think that many people also suffer with the advertising of mass consumerism telling you that you have to have this and that which leads to credit card bills and other debt.I truly think that schools should teach more about money management from an early age along with nutrition and food. Sorry, he endeth my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls are working hard at minimizing, frugalizing and work from home to be able to stay home with their children .. much work but much joy. This is something I work on with my grandbabies:https://youtu.be/jb1kyOeFHLk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky and stayed at home. My eldest daughters husband left her and she has been picking up the financial pieces ever since. She would love to stay at home but its impossible. There is not always a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Tania. Those of us who are able to be at home more are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm only catching up 1 post at a time as I rush through the weekend. As you know, my weekends are rammed full with things because I work full time and at the moment, it's even more than full time it feels! However each to their own as you say. I don't feel like the kids are deprived, nor do I feel deprived. They are at school when I am at work and I was lucky enough to have almost a year off with both of them as my role at work gives me excellent maternity options. Other people don't have this and they make other choices, again, that's their choice. What I do get irritated about is both full time working mums and part time working mums pulling the other ones to bits. We all only get one life, happy and healthy is what matters and may that be whatever form you choose. My lovely neighbour always gets it in the neck for "only working part time" and I am frowned upon by many mums at school for working full time. However as I don't need to answer to any of these people, they can crack on! We all have our challenges whether that's watching every penny or watching the clock, let's support each other doing that and I think you raise an interesting point. Sorry as I don't think this reply makes much sense lol!! It was more of a brain dump xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain dump away. Ooh when I saw the length of your comment I thought I was in for a battering. Like you say they can crack on, we do what we want and have to do when we want and how we are able and pooh to them! We all live our lives differently, not everything works the same for everyone be it by choice or design.x

      Delete
    2. Haha would I ever give you a verbal battering, no way :) xx agreed, we only have ourselves to answer to and true friends get that. Great post xx

      Delete
    3. Oh, just saw this comment! Great reply, thank you.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx