Thursday 19 October 2017

Not Quite Blown Away

Morning!

After Ophelia the weather has calmed down a great deal and isn't even that cold just now. She did a bit more damage to the Poly House but we have had an idea to use the plastic roofing from the conservatory to recover it when it is refurbished some time after Christmas, probably. She also knocked down a big branch which, luckily, fell the opposite way to the pond area. Part of the fence came away but that's now been mended;I think we got off quite lightly as it really was blowing some. Hope everybody survived minus too much damage.


I've just had breakfast after cleaning out the chooks and collecting the eggs. I also turned over the tyres where my blight-affected spuds had been. I read about what to do with the soil so I've taken a good few inches off the top, dug it through and weeded then the next job is to add some new compost; I'm going to plant the onion sets there as I cannot use them for spuds for a couple of years at least; I think the onions will do ok there.


I still have the huge job of taking up the sweetcorn and clearing that patch; want to get it started at least by the end of the weekend. I am NOT looking forward to it but we may be going to the tip at the weekend so I can take all of that there as have nowhere to burn things just now. Jon is going to make me an incinerator from an oil drum he got from work, did I already tell you that?

I admit to having found it really hard to get outside to do any jobs recently; the damage to the Poly House seems to have hit me, too! Anyhow this week I emptied all the tomato containers and put the compost into the compost bin. I cleaned out the lettuce and spring onion sink and have put the strawberry plants in that, lifted off the base so they don't get waterlogged by any rain. The failed squash and climbing beans have been given to the chooks and that tyre still needs a bit of work before being treated to some new compost and covering until I decide what to use it for.



The pak choi are looking good in the, damaged, cold frame but have a way to go yet.

The turnips I planted a little while ago seem to be doing ok and haven't need to cloche them as yet... 


as with the courgettes which are still giving a few to us which I love at this time of the year. I so know that I can grow them well outside again next year.


I've ordered and received some Christmas stickers and embellishments for projects for the festive season. I don't plan on making many things but just to tart things up, too.


I bought the same stickers last year and thought the buttons etc were lovely too. I have a thing about a few US craft companies including Jelly Bean Soup, Echo Park, Cosmo Cricket and In My Minds Eye. My Christmas always consists of either red, white and green or some vintage touches. I also have my new calendar; last night, whilst putting next year's dentist appointments on it, it occurred to me I  hadn't applied for Harry's senior school place yet! A quick internet search let me know I have until December 22 to get the application in so that has now been done and I will call the school to arrange a visit after half-term. It is making it all the more real that my boy is really growing up.

Last week I had my first go at bottling some fruit; this is a method of preserving I had not tried and I had some cooking apples I was storing in the cellar; they were keeping very well however I have always wanted to have a go at this so away I went.

I used up about two a half kgs of apples...



made the syrup without too much trouble...


and ended up with 4 of these jars for the cellar and one to put in the fridge.


I also had some syrup left over and I've put this into an ice cube tray to use for whatever.

Little update on the second Airbnb room; plastering is all done and the floor is going down next.


Last week I also made use of my new meatball gadget again. We had a slab of minced beef which came in a pack of meat products. I made a dozen regular meatballs and then six filled with cheese as Alfie loves those and then popped them in the freezer for future use.


Right, I think I'm up to date.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx



6 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you had damage to the polyhouse, we had a bit of a battering but I am not dwelling on it, nothing that couldnt be put right. Your bottled apples look great and those meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm not stressing about the damage, it will get fixed. I have some of the apples in the fridge to use up so itching to try them.

      Delete
  2. Love the sound of the meat balls. Your Airbnb is coming along well. Great work. Despite the warm temperatures everything is dying back on the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Yes the garden is certainly coming to its natural end in some areas, even with the mild weather.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing all the amazing indoor jobs you do now the time outdoors is coming to an end and Christmas is just aroubd the corner. Good to know the courgettes did well outdoors, they're the gift that keeps on giving!! Meatball gadget looks fun :) Tracy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last message as you need to be beaching not talking to me. Ha! I have to say I am really looking forward to concentrating on the indoors. I just need to kick myself up the bum, get the couple of jobs done that NEED doing outside then I am set for Winter wonders. Speak WHEN you get back.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx