Wednesday 25 October 2017

Oh What A Beautiful Morning!

Oh my what a morning! 

Glorious compared to what we've had, and the day continues to be fab. I love it here!


The above photo is the field on the other side of the road which runs parallel to our back garden and below is the lovely view to the hills about our neighbours house. I went to ask him if he wanted some of my spare onion bulbs and stayed a while for a brew and to pet his sheep dog, Meg. Lovely, really lovely to be able to do that.


I have soooo struggled to get outside and do some necessary jobs due to the weather and procrastinating a bit to be honest. However today I have achieved some good things.
I planted my onions; I have two varieties which are:

red onion Electric - 
An overwintering variety producing shiny red skinned, semi globe shaped bulbs with crisp, pink-tinged flesh. Onion 'Electric' makes a lovely addition to salads and stir fries.

white onion Radar - 
Plant these top performing onion sets from September for harvesting in May next season. Onion Radar is a long standing favourite, chosen for its reliable cropping, bolt resistance and winter hardiness. The short, wide bulbs produce rich straw coloured skins with crisp white flesh. 

and garlic, too - Lautrec Wight.

this is a classic 'hardneck' variety named for its place of origin in South West France. Garlic 'Lautrec Wight' is widely regarded as France's finest garlic producing very pretty bulbs with white outer skins and deep pink cloves.

Really chuffed I've got this done. I have one tyre left to sort out and cover. No photos as I think you can picture these jobs!

I have, after the storms, finally got round to covering the main veg patch, properly!! The only area left open is where the beetroot is; that is going to the chooks as it has not grown well then I will dig that over and plant my Spring Cabbage - that should have gone in a bit ago but what with the weather....hope it isn't too late?

Just a little update.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx




9 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful day after Ophelia and Brian paid a visit,I was out there all day making the most of it, looks like today is going to be another one, I have my garlic and look to getting it in the ground this week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, or otherwise, we have a booking for tomorrow night and today I have to go food shopping them come back and sort the room out so not sure I'll have time for outside but we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to seeing how the garlic does. I've two different varieties so we can compare as I think we seem to have very similar weather. apparently once the temperature is below 6c then nothing grows so if you get the cabbage in and there's a few nice days for it to root, it should be ok but like I always say, only one way to find out 😁.
    I fee how happy you are looking out on those views, truly splendid xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement re the Spring cabbage, must get it in. They say we might have frost tomorrow. Yes the views are splendid, good word.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm struggling to get out into the kitchen garden. Lots of clearing and preparing for the winter to do still. Must bring the last of the toms in before the temperature finally goes. Apples are taking all my gardening time. Bumper crop again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am done with apples. My toms were not that good this year so well done if you are still getting some. I need to pick up leaves now the wind has dropped. We think there may be a frost tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I too have struggled with time, with my 14mo daughter now walking very confidently, it's hard to be outside with her, keep her out of trouble and tend to my vegetable patches! They are in desperate need of some love, and I also really wanted to get some winter onions in too. I was planning on garlic planting in November – I thoroughly recommend Cristo, really delicious variety and good sized bulbs too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the garlic variety tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx