Wednesday 11 April 2018

Improving Weather Means Jobs Get Done.

The weather is definitely improving!

Good afternoon.

I've been doing my best to get outside when the weather has allowed recently and I really feel I am getting a few things done. The massive tyres I have are not quite need for planting yet but I've done some more preparation. On Monday I decided to check out my compost bins and ended up emptying the whole of one into this tyre, after covering the base with some thick paper; I was really pleased I could almost complete this job without buying any compost. I intend to top it up with some top soil. )Since doing this I have covered over the compost until I get planting started.)


I borrowed my neighbours' strimmer and did a little light work, as the thing was sooo heavy, on the fruit patch. I've now decided to leave it a bit wild and wooly. The patch backs onto a hedge so I hope between that and my area there will be some wildlife visiting. I'm now not going to cover it with membrane and wood chips as originally planned but I did get rid of a few large weeds and then raked it over. The three blueberry plants I have are looking healthy although I don't expect to harvest any fruit this year and put a ring of rocks around them until they are bigger and more obviously there!



I've finally got round to plating out this...


the rhubarb crown kindly given to me by my neighbour! It took a bit of digging as there are some tree stumps close my and therefore some roots but....


but I was happy to get in a place. I DO intend to put a ring of stones around it, as I did with the blueberries, so that Jon does not strim it to oblivion later in the year when cutting the grass!

I have sown some seeds, too. There is now compost in my shallow sink and I have sown All Round Lettuces. I've added more sweet peas to the ones already germinating in the conservatory; varieties include Bijou, which I grew last year, as these are lovely to keep at the front door in a small planter as they need no support. These are in the propagator in the Poly House; when I put them in I could see the climbing peas are ALREADY germinating so that is a fab result from my new, homemade toy.

I am still holding back to sow some things but it IS great to get started on some things. Today I bought Dwarf Green curled Kale seeds to grow as well as the crinkly Nero di Toscana that I have already sown plus some Black Beauty aubergine.

Ok, have to crack on with a few jobs indoors.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx