Monday 2 April 2018

Spud Campaign Commences!

Good morning, just, from a slightly miserable mid-Wales. We had such lovely weather yesterday I just had to get outside and do something in the garden.

I am chuffed to bits I have now planted my first early potatoes! Almost two rows of 10 tubers over a space of roughly 3 x 6ft, variety Arran Pilot; I grew these last year and they did us quite proud. 


I just grew my Charlotte's in open ground last year but have decided to grow both my first and second earlies this way this year instead of as previously in the tyres; I look forward to how much of a difference this makes, if any. What results do people find they get from open ground and container growing with spuds?

At the bottom of our garden we have an abundance of snowdrops, I mean a veritable carpet of them and there seems to be more each year which I love! I've tried to take a photo of them so many times but I just can't seem to do them justice! I watched Monty on Gardeners' World this week and he showed how to split and replant your snowdrops. I moved some clumps up to near the chicken enclosure so they grow alongside the daffs net year. 

I decided to give it a go and HERE you can see this handy video of how to do it; I thought somebody may be interested.

So, having got something in the ground at last I really feel that the season is under way, even though the weather is still a little changeable. Shoots are coming up everywhere and there is that lovely feeling of newness in the air.

As always, look forward to seeing what everybody is sowing and growing.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx




2 comments:

  1. Just the kind of post we need to see when anxiously waiting for spring to arrive!! Lovely. Your soil looks cracking!! Not water logged at all. I dare say mine will be in in Clay clumps at the moment. Hopefully not for long. I’m going to get some spuds into the bags my dad gave me a few years ago, just 2 per bag just to get going. Though I’ve found open ground is the best for me by far. Thank you for the tips on snowdrops. Always great to have a place to come back to for reference. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What varieties are you growing this year?x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx