Thursday 31 January 2019

Snow, Seeds and Stuff.

Morning.

We have had our first significant snow of the year. This was yesterday; apologies for Radio 4 travel news in the background!



The boys have both got to school but one came home early; they are both praying for a proper snow day.

On Monday I received both of my gardening mags which is always fab and this month a mountain of free seeds came with them. Sowing and growing will commence soon!!!!



I've just ordered from Thomson and Morgan, thanks to Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert website I have to say, a selection of fruit canes/bushes as it was an offer I just couldn't resist. Instead of paying £52 + p n p I got them for £17.49 total. (Sorry about the poor photo.) 

The offer I think is still available until early next month/whilst stocks last and they are posting out after the cold snap. The temp in the poly house yesterday was 5 degrees but I think these will have to stay indoors for a little while. 

I'll also have to get my bum in gear and tidy the fruit area in readiness for them. A bit of strimming is required and I REALLY do want to get it covered with matting of sorts and then wood chippings to properly keep the weeds down; soooo many jobs/plans.

I am also waiting for delivery of my seed spuds also from T & M. 

This year I have gone for:

- 1st early Swift (approx 16-18 tubers)
- 2nd early Charlottle, including some growing bags as part of an offer (approx 16-18 tubers)
- late maincrop Cara (32 - 36 tubers)

The spud order has prompted me to really get a grip on where I'll be planting things out. I'm not always very good at timing so planting out can continue once something has been harvested, but I am trying! 

We've had to put back the plan of making a new veg patch due to the work on the new Airbnb listing taking priority -  we it will be listed for the summer. Talking of which, here are some photos of the interior; Jon is well on the way to getting the plaster board up in the kitchen/living area which always makes things look great. It will be a lovely light space with 2 Velux windows, a door and a window in there plus a row of three windows in the bedroom.




We also recently celebrated my youngest's birthday, 11, how did that happen? Compared to my first boy which is always a struggle for most people I think, this one came into the world at 3.40pm in just over 5 hours from start to finish; it was a lovely birth being in the day time where as the first was night time as he arrived at 6.30pm with the experience taking a lot longer than that. I'll stop there as I could talk about my pregnancies for ever and it isn't everybody's cup of tea!

So pancakes with blueberries were requested for breakfast.


We're not given to big celebrations in our house but we asked him what he wanted to do. He asked for Domino pizza and this is a real treat for everybody as we have a 26 mile round trip to collect them, but worth it. This is his cake I made; he is not keen on lots of butter cream so we went for a Victoria sponge with a jam filling a couple of twiddly bits on top.....


As I write this we are expecting more snow this afternoon and possibly tomorrow. The temp is 0 degrees just now so really feel for people who still have very cold weather after the very chilly night most of us had, not to mention what is happening in The States! Brrrr.

Right, that's is all my ramblings for now. Off to get a few jobs done and then some leftover yummy homemade butternut squash soup for lunch.


Bye for now.








4 comments:

  1. Great work on the next Air BnB letting. I assume you had old barns there for alterations, rather than building from scratch? You are full of plans for the plot this year. Mine is looking a Right Mess but I have no intention of getting out there until it is a tad warmer (I am sat here with a hotty botty stuffed up beneath my fleece!!)

    Sounds like you escaped the worst of the snow, much to the boys' disappointment. We have to get to Cardiff this weekend for a Fair, so hope that everything thaws quickly - just a light dusting of snow here, thank heavens.

    That cake looked lovely and a Domino's pizza a real treat (never had one myself, but assume they must be good to make the journey worthwhile!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB. We had the property luckily when we arrived. The first room had light and power but not much else, the second was used as a small garage, the third was the tool shed and half the main outbuilding and the other half of the outbuilding is our rental unit. They all need a lot of work though. I have to say I'm not keen on getting outside until things warm up a little. I hope your trip to Cardiff is ok. The pizza is nice, I only had two small pieces as it was really for Jon and the boys.x

      Delete
  2. Looks like you're ready to do lots of planning for your veg. beds. Will this be the last B&B cottage or will there be more? The birthday cake looks delicious and I hope you all enjoyed your pizza. It will be a long time before anything is done in the garden here-usually end of May. Today it is -29C with wind chill of -35to40C. VERY cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Janice.Yes I am getting to the end of my planning. Yes this is the last Airbnb space as it is the last of the outbuildings we are renovating. Biggest thing is finding space for all the maincrop spuds of which I have ordered quite a lot!! We did enjoy the pizza thank you. Our snow is all but gone now and back to temps of around 8 -10 so certainly a LOT warmer than you. Stay cosy and lovely the hear from you.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx