Sunday 12 June 2016

This n That This Week.

Nothing too exciting occurring recently.

Here is the photo of the veg patch with my new sowing, planting out that I did on Wednesday. I'm hoping that the rain we have had today, and that which is forecast for next week, will not wash away the swede seeds! I also put in the carrots, onions and broccoli.



In the Poly House courgettes, as ever, are going great guns...


and the cucumbers are now flowering.


plus the tomatoes are flowering, too, and I'm very impatient about those growing. I have six beef tomato plants growing but don't have any grow bags for them as yet. 

We, Jon I mean, collected more bark from the saw mill yesterday morning and I made two loaves and a choc brownie whist the boys were doing this. Alfie was helping, too,  but it is sometimes hard to catch him on camera in the act of helping!



We purchased a new wheel barrow yesterday when we went to replenish our supply of laying pellets for the chickens. Jon hates spending money at the best of times but this really was required.



Talking of weather, we had a really good downpour at about 3pm yesterday so that cheered me up as there would be no need to water stuff outside today!

I am really suffering with getting moving at the moment. I have to have a proper stretch in a morning before I get out of bed and if I sit still for too long I take a bit of moving. I really think if I lost a few pounds it would help so as of Monday I'm going to do my best to eat a bit better and really try for my health really. I know some of it is down to age - however I happen to feel in my head I know am not a spring chicken any more.

Last evening, between the showers, we lit the fire pit to test it out and had burgers and toasted marshmallows. 




It was great fun and here's hoping a good summer will mean lots of outdoor eating and living. As I said the forecast is rain every day, but humid, for the next week until some sun next Saturday - ho hum!

I have this old kettle that I used to be near the wood burner in the living room but I don't really like it in there. I need to paint it inside as I want to plant something in it - just adds to the madness outside the Poly House!



Jon and Harry, between today's showers, are outside putting grass seed on the area where we took down the rhododendrons (never sure how to spell that!) Hopefully the rain will help with the growth.

We had to take an unscheduled trip to Aber today as the vacuum cleaner finally gave up the ghost. Jon has serviced, mended and tweaked it as much as he can but we have had to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Why does something always break when you just think you are getting some money saved? We can't complain really because we took said vacuum from people who were replacing it with a new one so we have had our no-money's worth out of it therefore mustn't grumble.

We are constantly discussing the garden at the moment, thinking of the best way to create just what we want. We have now decided to section off the part of the garden where we have the veg patch and Poly House etc. We have already planned to get fruit trees for that corner in a few weeks plus  put up a cage, but now will put in a fence which Jon intends to make from pallets he can get from work; this will stop next door's dog getting where she shouldn't!  He can also get some huge tyres from the saw mill and we are going to use these for the potato growing and possibly other things. This will free up some space in the veg patch and as I don't plan on putting the next round of spuds in the ground until August. This will work fine as I can use the space for something else sooner, not sure what yet, apart from turnips I have got started in the Poly House, so need to look into that.

Ok, that is it from here so I hope you have enjoyed your weekend and let's see what next week brings us.

Lou.xx

11 comments:

  1. We always found that on a smallholding you can never have too many wheelbarrows, buckets and watering cans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue. I have two watering cans after finding the second one in Jon's shed but we will have to ditch the old barrow, really past its best. Buckets are something I do need a couple of.

      Delete
  2. I love the fire pit and I bet the boys do, I am always hunting buckets and watering cans they are never were I left them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gathering all I can at the moment as Jon has re-jigged the drainpipe to catch more water.

      Delete
  3. Wow..burgers on a fire pit sounds amazing! Brings back summer memories growing up in Kentucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments OE, and for the follow.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about feeling physically old :( I am constantly frustrated by my new limitations. I'm hoping that the mental boost of achieving my dream might help me physically too....
    You certainly keep your workers well fed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photo of Alfie and Jon, it does look as it Alfie is scratching his head and saying 'What ARE you doing dad?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion Greta as that is Harry but you are probably right about the head scratching! X

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx