Wednesday 8 June 2016

Waiting!

Yesterday morning we awoke to a misty outlook so, convinced it would clear up to be sunny, I sent the boys to school in shorts and no sweaters with sun cream and hats. 

Suffice to say it rained!

Together with the much needed rain and waiting for the delivery of top soil (sorry, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record!) I did not do much outside.

I collected the eggs (6, so the total for the week was 36), watered inside the Poly House and added extra straw to the strawberries; we are getting fruit on them now - Jon has had the first one - I'm very scared they will all be ruined if they are touching the soil. Eeeeek! 

I don't think it was my pruning alone but the rose around the front door is coming on a treat, and when on my way back from walking the dog the other day I realised we had this growing near the side wall! It is the garden that just keeps on giving!




So indoors I did some sewing, a cushion cover for the living room, from some fabric which came from my mum via our visit to my sister's house the other weekend. (I think I had nearly forgotten how my machine works it has been so long!) The yellow is great with the walls but I just like random cushions in that room. Need to find a slightly bigger pad for it - my cushions are always a bit wonky but what the heck!


I watched the Sewing Bee on the I-Player whist I had my late lunch and then did a quick cleaning out of chicken poo before a full blown clean out later in the week.

Suffice to say the man did not come with the top soil, but said he would come today so I couldn't start planting out today - getting very nervous that things are not yet out. So Jon and I moved (heaven and) the earth from one end of the veg patch to the other so at least I can start at one end.

The courgettes really are growing very well; just need the tomatoes to catch up so I can make some yummy chutney!

As of last night the fire pit is finished and we can't wait to use it at the weekend!


















However, today I have made in-roads with the sowing! 

I had to rake over the soil to make it better for sowing and have started with the swedes and onions but I'm having a break just now as it is so very warm. As I have been sowing thoughts have been going through my head about what if nothing grows, what if I don't space things just as people say and lots of other things. Arrggghhh!

Anyhow just going to have some lunch and then head out to do some more.

Lou.xx

9 comments:

  1. Wonky is good, learning and trying is fun and unless your name is google you will never know it all..ha ha.... Your pit looks great and fingers crossed this great weather will stay for the weekend. Mist rolling,off the sea here morning until late afternoon now warm and we have had tea in the garden again.... I could get to like this xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. The boys can't wait to toast marshmallows! Yes, we had a misty evening yesterday but still warm, as is today.x

      Delete
  2. I think you are doing an amazing job with all your gardening. There is bound to be a bit of trial and error but it is not sounding like you will be getting scurvy any time soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greta. There are still lots of roots etc sticking up that I have to keep an eye out for but we are working our way from the area above the fire pit down and we will get there eventually. Yes trial and error indeed. I'm sure something will grow but my self confidence has peaks and troughs.

      Delete
  3. Love the fire pit and the cushion and the roses, I have a yellow climbing rose I planted last year that has just opened its first flower, dont worry about the spacing and doing it wrong, I dont think there is a right or wrong way you are doing it thats all that matters :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, made a change to get behind the machine even for a little while. Thanks for the right or wrong words. As I said to Greta I'm sure something will grow.Just have to keep next door's dog off things until they get going. Looking for net curtains in the charity shops as the weekend to cover up a few things.

      Delete
  4. Might have to steal the fire pit idea! Everything is looking great - well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx