Sunday 12 March 2017

Where To Start?

This post is one of those catch up ones where things are not necessarily in the right order but at least you know what has been happening! Yes, yet again, I am all to cock!

On Saturday we bought all of these - the apple and pear tree came from Tesco, £6 for two, 




and the raspberry canes (thank you Dawn!) and two blackcurrants were £1 each, from Poundland. If they don't work out it will be no great loss.



This morning we have measured out the space for the fruit patch but also decided we can fit in a second, smaller greenhouse if we come across one.

Jon cut into disks another tree which he took down this morning to log and add to the woodpile next week. He has just begun work on the extension to the chicken enclosure to accommodate the ducks, with the boys helping by moving the big pile of branches to the right of the picture for burning at the bottom of the garden.

Here you can see the area before we cut one of the very last bamboo bushes down and trimmed back the pond...




and how it looks now; so much more space and so much lighter, too.



Jon is starting with a couple of the fence posts as the perimeter of the enclosure will begin at the left of the duck house, then come down towards where he is in the picture. He will have to move the gate of the chicken enclosure, too, of course. There is now a ramp into the pond and Jon is part way through converting Jake's old Dog House into another poultry palace for the next incoming flock, including putting a door at the back so we can reach any eggs; I'll post a picture when all is done. Does anybody have an suggestions for the best kind of ducks to have? We have a poultry supplier we are going to see at Bronant maybe next weekend.

Talking of eggs I've put our our first eggs out to sell! It is rather wet today so I have had to protect the basket a little; this is a bit of an experiment to see if they are visible as people drive past - Jon says he will build me a box on a stand, when he gets round to it but knowing him it won't be long!


Whilst putting the eggs out Alfie and I found this little snake - only about 6 inches long.


Also this morning I have sown seeds for radishes and basil in the Poly House.

Ok I think I am now caught up. We have all just had a snack to keep us going and I have prepared the veg until we have roast chicken this afternoon before Alfie goes to piano - two weeks on Thursday until his pre-test so lots of practise happening.

Bye for now and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Lou.xx

10 comments:

  1. I've had the cheapo fruit "twigs" before and they do well, so I am sure yours will too.

    The "snake" is a Slow Worm - probably female as if I remember rightly, the males are more silverish in colour. We had lots of them in the garden of the house where I grew up in Southampton. If you pick them up first they will spray you with evil-smelling wee, and if that doesn't make you drop them (as a predator, as of course you are!) they will then drop their tails. Lizards will do the same. Harmless and if you put down a piece of corrugated iron in the area you found it, you may well get some more cwtched up under there.

    Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the twigs advice BB! The worm looked very dead but I gently moved it with a stick and it wasn't so we put it in the garden.

      Delete
  2. My that garden is coming along, are you saving any of the taller bamboo canes to use around the garden, was going to say your snake looks like a slow worm (legless lizard) they d a lot of good in the garden. We are looking at getting Appleyard ducks this time round, good for eggs and meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dawn; we are so chuffed with how it is looking. Yes it is my plan to save the longer ones for the pea and bean structures but we also have two bushes left that I can cut direct from, and have some I cleaned up and left in the greenhouse at the end of last summer. Thanks to you, too, about the snake. Thanks for the duck info as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. Encourage the slow worm to stay. They like to eat slugs. We have corrugated sheets down to encourage them over grass cuttings. Always find at least one under there on hot days, plus grass snakes.

    I've always wanted to put my hens eggs out the front, but the neighbours buy our surplus, so never got that far. Your garden is coming on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think I would get such a reaction to a worm! I I do hope the eggs go well and thank you, we are very pleased with the garden.

      Delete
  5. I have never seen a slow worm before lol, so I am educated too! Love to see things coming along. We want Aylesbury ducks for meat. I guess it depends what you want them for? The indian runner ones are comical to watch but no meat on them. Good layers though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to keep ducks and if you want to keep them for eggs you need khaki cambells. They lay approx 300 eggs a year for the first couple of years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. We are wanting them for eggs really so will keep that in mind, thanks.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx