Monday 14 August 2017

Rayburn Re-boot!

Over at Our Smallholding Adventures Tracy and Ste have had a spot of bother with their Aga but thankfully Ste is a resourceful man and has managed to sort the problem. Yay!

Here at Bronllan we, Jon, has been readying the Rayburn for being lit; if the weather doesn't improve it will be sooner rather than later. We have been talking about cleaning out the flu before the re- light. (I have Take That in my head now!)

Rods were brought in from the shed,


and Jon began his best impression of Bert - chimney sweep from Mary Poppins.


An old towel did the trick of keeping a lot of the mess from escaping but I had to put my OCD to one side to allow a necessary job to be done. Because we burn mainly wood and not coal products we understand there was not as much soot as there could have been.


Once the flu was done and the soot cleared away Jon gave the plate, lids and flu/damper a spruce up.




He set a small fire to check smoke was escaping through the flu and out the external chimney as it should be. After half an hour or so she was good as new and ready for the off.



I can't wait to light her again. I've had a Spring and Summer? with a fairly dust-free kitchen but I will take that to have our little beauty lit again; we look forward to it once again providing us with the ability to heat, eat and bathe under our own steam, or wood!

I'm so looking forward to not using the microwave and having the smell of my bread and slow cooking casseroles filling the kitchen and the house. Aaaah, happy days.

8 comments:

  1. Do you have any other cooker besides the Rayburn? You've done a great job and it looks lovely. I can see what the attraction is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tania. Yes, we have a gas cooker that we use between April and when we light it in the Autumn. It is on a bottle so the cost is very little. The way the weather is at the moment I am itching to put a match to it! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have take that now lol! Could be worse I guess ! I can't wait to put ours back on tomorrow if the wicks come in time. We're very lucky that Ste and Jon are so resourceful indeed. I don't know about Jon, but Ste doesn't like being able to say he can't fix something, always tries and usually succeeds.
    Stews, casseroles (what's the difference anyway?), soups and breads mmmmm all in my head now. You have a very cosy place ( through how you verbalise it) its lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-light that fire!!!LOL! Yes we are very lucky. Jon will too ALWAYS have a go, You Tube is a wonderful thing, too. Can't wait until we are thoroughly cosy in the kitchen veeeeery soon.x

      Delete
  4. Ah an Aga or a Rayburn cannot beat. My Nan had a Rayburn and we always used to get dressed in the morning in front of it; Nan would open up the door or equally our jim jams were popped on the rail to warm before we dived into them at night before going to bed. They are very much a way of life. Once you have one you wouldn't be without it, We have had them and miss them dreadfully. One day! My Nan always did bread and we would have her home made buns with potted dog/donkey spread on top of the buttered buns chopped in half for Tea. Its okay its a colloquial name for potted beef which is really tasty. Here's to your lighting her up again (deeply jealous as so warm in the winter months). Enjoy. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia. The weather her is very wet today and when the cold starts to get into my bones it will be lighting up time. Eeeek!

      Delete
    2. Don't blame you one little bit its kind of comforting. Its been a tad chillier here at night this week and it has been wet and blowing a hooley too. If it gets too cold I have been know to have a hot water bottle with me at work. Enjoy xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx