Thursday 24 August 2017

New Camera!

Hi!

This post is a little self indulgent as I wanted to properly try out the new camera we have just bought, Ebay bargain for a great point and press - suits me just fine.

I decided to take photos of the Poly House to give a good outing. 

These are the three main varieties of tomatoes I have growing.

Cuor di bue, an elongated beef variety




The above are beef toms, obviously, but not sure if they are the Costoluto Fiorentino or regular beef! Monty is growing Costolutos.

These are the Capriccio F1 variety I am growing for bottling but leaving them as long as possible, keeping an eye on them not splitting, before I pick them as want to do as many as possible at once.



Onto the beans and squash. The beans are growing really well so hope to harvest some of those in a week or so as would like to have some to go in the freezer but I only have about four planted, I think, so not sure what the yield will be.



The squash was really overgrown and no light was getting to the underneath so.......


....I gave it a good haircut and there was a pile of leaves for the chooks.



Next up is the corn. I checked back and ;ast year I was harvesting the small amount I did manage to grow at the end of September so this has a bit of a way to go, but looking good.


Here is something which is off the shopping list; these are looking good....


as the gherkins continue to do, too. I have pickled some but we are using them in stir fry and I hope to dehydrate some if the weather is good over the weekend. Talking of dehydrating, I have dried this oregano for the kitchen and today put some sage leaves in.



These are something I am chuffed with, look at my piquant peppers! Dawn, anybody, what colour should they be as I did not have a packet; the seeds were a gift from Dawn.


I am very confident my Sweet potatoes will be a much greater success than last year. They are getting watered well and having had a little root around I can tell they are a good size at this point already; I LOVE Sweet spuds.


I usually say that I only grow things which we can eat, however I love the sweet peas and even more the freesias I have managed to grow!


Finally my broccoli Raab is coming on well...


as are the Spring Cabbages.


Yesterday i spent some time preserving some of the damsons by making jam, courtesy of Marguerite Patten.




All the damsons were put in my preserving pan along with the water - soooo excited about using this as I had it as a present last Christmas!

When the fruit had gone quite soft.....


I added the sugar.


I had to fish out stones, did get most of them but won't be entering this in the preserve section at this year's horticultural show!

Then it went into jars...


and I have a few to keep in the cellar store room and one has gone in the fridge.

That is about it I think. I love the camera and it is super easy to use. I just put the card into the laptop and download really easily instead of having to plug my phone in or email them to myself. I just have to get out of the habit of grabbing my phone when I want to photograph something!

By for now.

Lou.xx




7 comments:

  1. What a great buy to capture all of the things you do for your blog! Looks like great quality photos. Everything is coming on great. The peppers look nothing like mine lol, mine are like a Christmas bell shape and green as they come. Dawn said they'll turn red so we'll see. Hope the jam turned out ok? I've got raab broccoli in too as it was free in the mag lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are chuffed to bits with the camera. Harry even took a walk down the cycle path with it yesterday and took photos of sheep!Lol. I think jam is all good, Jon had it in rice pudding that night. Not sure when to plant the raab and spring cabbage, need to check.x

      Delete
  2. sorry that is not a piquant pepper that looks like a chilli, I wonder if you have a stray seed, it still looks good.
    New camera is on my list for Birthday/Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks for that Dawn! Nice surprise. I think I have some more piquant peppers growing, but maybe not?

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping we get some more sunshine so the squash keep growing. I'm down to 3 cucumber plants which is more than enough to cope with now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not hopeful, again, about the squash doing very well. I have two cucumber plants and they seem to be enough for us.

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for sharing information that will be much helpful for making coursework my effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx