Monday 11 September 2017

A Little Success At The Community Show.

Saturday was our local show and I entered a few things. I learned a few rules from last year which I think paid off.

Here is my collection of entries; lemon curd, lemon cake (not a lemon drizzle), refrigerator pickles, pickled gherkins, 'three onions', a Christmas item (not pictured but it was the December Daily album I made) and Welsh cakes.


Well, I ended up being placed third for both my lemon curd and my lemon cake and then first with my onions = total prize money of £2.50. It isn't about winning, really, although that is great, and it certainly isn't about the money, but making sure people take part to ensure something as lovely and parochial as local shows and events keep going.



 Added to this I was talking to one of the parents from the boys' school about the fact that the committee for our community events are all getting on in years a bit and we need to prepare for when they need to step aside. It comes down to making sure for example, we have somebody waiting in the wings who is a local accountant, business person or good at bookkeeping to make sure money matters are taken care of. We need to be ready to inject new energy into projects and events and to this I was asked if I would consider joining the committee. I am considering it; I only have to pop across the road, meetings are once a month or so but more frequent close to larger events. I think I can manage to take part but I'll see. It would be lovely to help keep things alive for the current community and for new people joining us in the future.

A little about the latest harvest. Some nice courgettes, and a couple still coming it seems and a collection of tomatoes as well as some of our garlic which I'm really pleased with. There is a lot of garlic still in the cellar as I am gradually brushing the soil off it before it is stored in a basket but I'm getting there.

I used the veg, as well as some of our onions, to make a sort of ratatouille and this has gone into the freezer for another day.


Jon's dad visited at the weekend and brought us lots of apples and damsons. I gave the damsons to a friend who's tree had failed this year and I am putting some apples outside to sell as well as using some ourselves of course. However, I used up other apples we had been gifted at the weekend and made a crumble and froze two lots of stewed apple. (Had to clean out the fridge/freezer in the cellar room first as the door had accidentally been closed but didn't take too long till it was spick and span again.) 

The weekend was mad, especially Saturday. We went into town for me to open Harry his bank account in time for his birthday tomorrow, Alfie to go to his football match then to look at tents for when Jon takes the boys out camping for the night soon then home. I readied the guest room, took my entries across the road and then had lunch. Phew.

I have Harry's chocolate birthday cake in the oven and it will get its Guardians of The Galaxy topper put on last minute tomorrow in time for his pal to come over and watch GOTG 2 and eat burgers after school; I made rolls for the burgers yesterday so that is one less thing to do. We received a 4-day booking for the Airbnb room last night with the guests arriving this evening which is great but with it being Slimming World and Sea Cadets Jon will have to do the meet and greet and not me as usual. We have got so busy for this month which we are so happy about and of course the room had to be turned round this morning, too, after Jon's dad left yesterday so I'm now looking forward to lunch. I love being busy!

Right,time to see what food is left in the fridge after the weekend!

Bye for now.

Lou.x


13 comments:

  1. You're doing so well sticking with slimming world!
    We're going tomorrow to enter into the show here which is Saturday so I'm looking forward to that. I think you'd be perfect for the committee if you decide to. Excellent going on the placings at the show!! Brilliant. Hope the birthday goes well tomorrow. Loving that you're getting harvests like that still and the fact some are going to the freezer is great. Enjoying it all another day for no cost 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh let me know what you are entering into the show, love to see your entries! I am seriously thinking about the committee thing. Hope to still get a few more things from the garden.xx

      Delete
  2. Well done with your show entries, those onions look great, I am sure you would be a breath of fresh air on the committee and do a brilliant job go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless, thanks for saying that about the committee.

      Delete
  3. You have done really well there. In the village where I grew up there was a traditional show which has been going on for many years. When I joined the WI and then ultimately became secretary in one of the villages local to me we did a joint entry of a summer's afternoon event. Our group chose to do a boating scene and we all made something appropriate for the tableaux. I did a yellow gingham tablecloth which was hand sewn and then embroidered with yellow, green and white cross stitch, one of the other ladies made a crochet throw another a cushion etc. etc. We came second in the event which we were pretty chuffed with. I still have the cloth and napkins that were made to match.(by the way the backdrop was painted with a river, a boat and boughs overlooking the water so it did look relatively realistic.

    Well done though with the home preserved produce; its the taking part that counts.

    I don't know why but for some unknown reason you new posts are not coming up on my reading list so I end up reading a few in one fair swoop.

    Take care though and well done.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to bother. The tableaux sounds fantastic.

      Delete
  4. Well done on your entry successes. The Airbnb is going well, I'm pleased for you. I picked a couple of courgettes today and they're still growing. Lots of toms in the greenhouse too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania.I'm pleased we still have some courgettes as I love them with our toms!

      Delete
  5. gorgeous goodies, well done on your wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to hold my hands up and admit that I am not a huge fan of courgettes, so have avoided growing them. But now my daughter is here (1 year old, how time flies!), she seems to enjoy them so we are probably the only people growing their own veg that are courgette-less! I might try one token courgette plant next year and see how I go ;)

    Also well done on your show successes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy
      I once made a courgette and maple syrup cake! Courgettes are easy to grow and they are so useful. I haven't made it this year but last I made apple and courgette chutney and it was lovely.

      Delete
  7. Well done at the show, brilliant results :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx