Thursday 7 September 2017

Windfall Wonder.

Hi!

Today I got round to some preserving and set to making my windfall chutney. The apples were gifted from friends, the onion came from the cellar store room and it called for tinned toms - nowhere near enough in the Poly House anyhow - most of which were in a food hamper brought to us by friends recently.

This is the very easy recipe I used taken from Country Living Magazine.


A good amount of ingredients.


I love a throw-it-all-in-the-pan recipe!



It took just over two hours to get it cooked down....


then I popped them in a water bath as I really want them to last through the winter.


I have some put aside that I'm entering in the village show on Saturday; I'll try and do a quick post with my entries tomorrow as I will get them all together for taking over the the hall after lunch on the morning of the show.


The jars are now sitting on the shelf in the cellar store room along with other things - I'm gradually getting my stock built up!

Bye for now.

Lou.x

5 comments:

  1. Oh I haven't seen the latest issue of CL, thanks for the tip! We have a friend who is desperate to give away their windfall apples... and there's only so much apple pie and crumble I can eat :) This is a great alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy. The recipe is an old one I'm afraid but I'm sure you could find it online. You can always tweak any recipe to make it spicier etc but this is just a great taste. I have stewed down apples, too, and just put it in the freezer for later use. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat a throw it all in recipe!! Building up the stock is a great feeling isn't it? They'll last a good while I am sure xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the cellar store room filling up. Just need to get my bum in gear and get the garlic brushed off as it is pretty much all dried now. What I used of it was lovely and well grown. Very chuffed.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was the only one who chopped recipes out of magazines. Especially preserving ones. Looks good though. I have more chutney to make yet and I have just bought some more pickling onions to prepare and bottle up. Two stone are already prepared and I have just bought another 2 stone. Very useful to give away with hampers or an additional jar. Most people seem to like pickled onions. The shallots are ordered but are not ready yet. I also want to make sweet pickle, as OH consumes loads of this. Will see what the weekend brings. If he goes fishing I may be able to get this done and dusted. Lucky you having a cellar bet things keep really well down there. Deeply envious. Take care. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx