Sunday 24 September 2017

Foody Photos Inside and Out.

Hi!

I've tried a couple of new recipes recently as you really can get a bit bored with the same old same old sometimes.

I sat down and had a good root through my Save With Jamie book, which I love, and I've been a little inspired due to watching Celebrity Masterchef just now, too. 

I made Koftas but with turkey mince instead of lamb and also rustled up some flat breads to go with them. They went down a treat so will definitely be making them again. (Unfortunately no photo.)

I had some puff pastry in the freezer so made this with a filling of chicken, peas in my homemade mint sauce, tarragon and all put through a bechamel sauce. Mmmmm.



Then I decided on pork belly-filled ravioli which was ok in the end but I have misplaced the bracket that holds my pasta machine to the island! I had to roll by hand but it came out alright.

I've taken delivery of a kitchen gadget which I've used for tea last night - a meatball maker and I love it! Jon cooked the meatballs whilst I was watching Strictly and he said they cooked really well; the texture seemed to have been improved by the pressure of the gadget making the balls into a really good shape.







Now, I've finally got round to processing, almost, all of my garlic which I took up when we came back from our holidays. It has taken ages for it to dry out as the soil was so very wet but it looks great and I am so very pleased with it. I have it in the basket I bought in Menorca hanging in the kitchen as most things I read say it should not be kept in the dark incase it sprouts so that is why I didn't put it in the cellar store room.




I have on order a small amount of garlic but need to get some more.

Yesterday I had a bit of a tidy up in the Poly House. It looks a bit better...


but there are a few jobs to do yet.


I also need to clean out the planters etc before I store them away for the winter.


My next door neighbour works at our local plant nursery and he brought me these two thyme plants. They are now in the herb sink and I was very grateful for them as mine had not grown well this year.


In the Poly House these are the broccoli raab and Spring cabbage; I intend to get them outside quite soon before they get too leggy and spoil.



Also yesterday I took up the last of my Maris Piper spuds, as I was worried the blight may get to them, and left them to dry until today.



I brought them inside this afternoon along with something else!


I have some in the kitchen to eat at tea tonight and the rest I have stored in the cellar. Don't want the precious few to spoil. I am very pleased, though, that I have these, the Christmas spuds and also the sweet ones.

Oh this really is turning into a ramble, sorry. I just remembered the mum of a friend of Alfie's, who spent the day with us yesterday, gave me a huge courgette she grew on her allotment. I am chuffed to bits as I wanted to make some of the courgette and apple chutney as I did last year but only had the apples. I've put some of the many cooking apples I was given in the cellar, ones that are not bruised, on a flat box as most of them have been put to the compost heap or the chickens. That is a job for next week I'm looking really forward to.

Right I think I should stop now or there will be no end to this!

Bye for now.

Lou.



4 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good ramble! It didn't read like one tho! Love to see how things are progressing and I've literally just written about the raab broccoli lol. Seriously love the bunting in the polyhouse! The sweet spuds are looking great. Gutted to say my Christmas ones haven't worked out due to blight. Interested to hear all about how you did the garlic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that chic. Can't beat a bit of bunting-I love it! The sweet potato was soo yummy roasted. With the garlic I just had to leave it to dry for an age because the soil was so wet when I took it up. I left it to dry, on a hessian sack in the cellar storeroom, then used a soft brush to get the soil off as well as cutting the whispy bits off the bottom of the bulbs. Before I put them in basket I lightly dampened the brush and gave them another going over. Good result I think.x

      Delete
  2. You have gone do well with your food production. Well done. I'm learning like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Learning all the time as my dad used to say. I've learnt so much this year that I really hope to put to good use when it all begins again!x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx