Thursday 19 May 2016

Baking A Go-Go



Morning!

Nothing much to report just now apart from I'm having a bit of a baking session just now, in between other stuff. I have my bread on the third prove and have made a gingerbread cake. I've also just been asked to bake a cake for the refreshments table at our weekend plant sale - hope to get a few bargains from there for the garden.

The recipe for the gingerbread came from one of my fav books. (considering we have our own eggs I shouldn't be baking this really as it is made without eggs due to the rationing!)


I found it in a charity shop but didn't get to see the TV programme. I just love books like this, set around war time, as I think the pre-war and post Second World War history is so interesting. (Watch out or I'll be doing my hair in a Victory Roll if I'm not careful!)

I have been looking at it from the gardening aspect, the Dig For Victory campaign. I knew some people where I used to live who took this campaign a bit further - you may like to read a bit about it here

I love reading about the wartime; food aspect with recipes for potato pie, with jam! and everything from Make Do And Mend as well as making Christmas decorations and the general Keep Calm and Carry On attitude.

Just been to water the Poly House and the outside things; really thought we would have rain last night but nothing.

The gingerbread cake is out of the oven cooling. Will show you it later as having issues again with photos but trust me you're not missing much. I think I should have followed my instincts and used a smaller tin. Never mind I can always layer it with something like butter cream, but that doesn't really follow the WWII guidelines does it?

Bye for now.

Lou.x











4 comments:

  1. Just had a look in my ww2 cook book and there is a mock whipped cream that was used in cakes
    1/2oz cornflour, 1/4pt milk, 1and1/2oz of margarine, 3tsp sugar, few drops of vanilla essence
    mix cornflour to a paste with a little of the ilk, heat remainder and when boiling add to the blended cornflour, stirring well, return to saucepan bring to boil and cook for 3 minutes, cream the margarine and sugar. Whisk in the cornflour mixture gradually. Add the vanilla essence.
    No idea whats its like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. found another ww2 mock cream, 1oz marg, 1oz sugar, 1tbsp dry milk, 1tbsp water, peppermint essence, cream marg and sugar, until white and smooth, add the milk and water gradually until smooth, add a few drops of flavouring to taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is another the same but 4 tbsp of milk powder

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for those, they might be fun to try. The cake did not come out very well to be honest but the taste was lovely so will try another recipe, with eggs!

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx