Friday 6 May 2016

In The House.

I've been busy in the house and the greenhouse the last couple of day. Indoors there has been a bit of baking going on. I've been a little more patient with knocking back the bread when I'm making it plus leaving it to prove a bit longer and it is making such a difference. Because we are desperate to use the eggs from the hens I've been baking cakes with the shop bought ones and I also made lemon curd the other day; Alfie loves it and I have to say it is yummy on my bread.



We are now officially not buying bread and eggs and I am chuffed to bits!

In the greenhouse things are doing really quite well and I am keen to show a visitor I am having next week how things are coming on.The courgettes on the left are doing so well and the cucumbers are not far behind. 




I have bought a raspberry bush and a blueberry one as I mentioned and here they are; very small for now.

Finally there is a spot of green in one of the sweetcorn pots but I'm not wishing for buttery cobs just yet!

After taking some time to get a hold these are the beef tomatoes and then the broccoli; especially chuffed about the latter. 



We were gifted four eggs today and see my egg chickin with chickin eggs in!!




Outside my front kitchen window is a laurel and happened to see today that it is looking like it might flower this year. In the eight years I have had it I think it has flowered three times!



Ok, must dash as the boys will be home in ten minutes and they need a snack as we are going food shopping when Jon gets home.

Lou.x

7 comments:

  1. All the little steps add up, I hope you are keeping records of how many eggs you are getting, its surprising how much it amounts to over the year, during egg glut times you need to think about how you can store some for winter when eggs drop off :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have started a weekly tally in the back of my book I make notes in about the greenhouse. I plan on pickling some. For the last three days we have had 4 eggs per day. How do you store them? We will have a cellar room put by for storing things like potatoes when we get proper harvests in and for preserves when we we get it rendered and the shelving done - another job!

      Delete
    2. I have an egg skelter for my eggs so they get used in date order, I dehydrate eggs as well as making up batters and freezing them, you can also do some pickled eggs, I have a couple of solar lights in the hen house that I stat using from late Autumn it encourages them to lay through the shorter days

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all looking good! That bread looks great and I love lemon curd too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love home made lemon curd, I was thinking of doing an orange one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made orange once but for me it doesn't come close in tastiness.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx