Sunday 31 December 2017

Here Comes 2018!

Hello

I didn't want to just do a look back at 2017 post to be honest so this is a bit of a mish mash of the still 2017 and the coming 2018.

First of all I want to show you the start of a project Jon will be starting in the New Year; we managed to get this fantastic sink from a well known auction site for the great price of £40.




It is huge but luckily it will fit beautifully into the existing space, and we also have these...



Today Jon and the boys were clearing out the tractor shed which belongs to our sheep-farming neighbour and friend. He has said Jon can use the shed to store things from his tool shed and garage whilst he is changing them into the B and B. At the same time he found these tiles which we will use for the sink splashback. What a result, just as we needed something exactly like it!

Also Jon and the boys found these wonderful glass jars a bowl.The bottle I have taken to a charity shop as I didn't really like it.



I did get into the garden yesterday and put some chicken cleanings onto the main veg patch.


My neighbour told me that it was quite safe to put it onto the ground to rot down ready for the Spring so I managed around a third of it but will be easy to finish the rest.



In January we had to re-home Jake; we still think about him but know he is happier.



The second Airbnb room is now finished and awaiting furniture.



I especially really love the oak panel we used for the sink splashback and mirror backing.


We are very pleased that for the first Airbnb room we already have a booking for the first weekend in January and one for February. Also, we hope to get the next phase going well as Jon begins working part time from January 10, three days a week so the way he works he will get tonnes of jobs and work done.

On a personal note I joined Slimming World in February and managed to reach my goal a good while before the end of the year by losing two and a half stones.

In April we started a long-term project - mushrooms!




There will not be any result from the plugs in the trees for another year or so. We'll see what happens next year.

By May the growing area had increased. I had the original patch along with the fruit area and patch for carrots and sweetcorn.


In June we had one of our trips to the beach after the boys came home to school. Just fab.



In July Harry and I met Prince Charles at Strata Florida Abbey.


In August we had an awesome time watching the meteor shower from our back garden.


In September I made windfall chutney with apples gifted to me by my father in law...


and Jon took the boys on a camping trip.

















In October the Rayburn was lit and with the cold that came with storm Brian and Ophelia we were so pleased for it.

November saw the beginning of the festive season with things like mincemeat readied for the pies in December.

And that brings us to December and the eve of the new year.

It is always a time to enjoy looking forward and thinking of the plans for the coming months but we always like to look back at past achievements and things that happened. There have been some horrible things that have occured in the last 12 months but we must always hope that the world will manage to change for the better, for everyone.

Can I wish everybody a wonderful New Year, being a purposeful, rewarding and just one that brings you peace, happiness and joy in whatever you do.

Bye for now.

Lou.xx




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful year for you, Lou! Best wishes to you and yours for a fantastic 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen, and the very same to you.x

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you and your family. I love reading your blog and it is good to see your trips to Aber, my daughter went to Uni there, and my Aunt lived there for many years. Beverley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley. I'm so pleased when people enjoy reading my ramblings. We love Aber, we fell in love when house hunting in the area and after visiting it we concentrated our search here.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Louise for all your blogs which Sue and I have enjoyed reading since February 2017. Happy New Year! We read your review of 2017 and note your comment and photo of Jake. He is doing fine and we are confident he is happy. It is sad you had to rehome him. We will update you with a full report in February, which we believe is his 4th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and a Happy New Year to you both, too. We are all so pleased that Jake continues to be happy with you. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Love reading about everything you did and accomplished in 2017. Wonderful news that you got the second BnB finished. Wishing you all the best in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice for reading about what we get up to. We hope for a good year and I plan on blogging about more of our future plans in the coming weeks. Got to have a plan.

      Delete
  5. Can't help but drool over your lovely sink - it's a wonderful find:) Wishing more good things and wishes for this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Annie. I love it! It was the only thing I wished I could change in the kitchen when we moved to the house. It will hopefully be in within a couple of weeks. Jon was changing to part time but there has been a death in the family of the owner of where he works; he is going back to help for what will hopefully not be too long then we can get back on track with our future projects. Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry I missed this post, am going to try and sign up again as I don’t get the updates now. Also had issues posting replies so I’ll be sure to copy this one before I hit publish. Those tiles are lovely and will look amazing with that sink. What a find with the bowls too. Stuff like that means more to me than those you’d pay full price for!
    I do the same with the horse muck, lay it and cover it and the worms will do it for you. That will do it the world of good.
    The oak panel for splash back is ingenious and you guys have done amazingly to get the 2nd room ready for furniture. Just think of the opportunities that will bring.
    Lovely to read a comment above that Jake is doing well, a brave decision that worked out for the best for Jake.
    So very please that Jon is managing to go part time as soon as 10th!! That’s brilliant and such exciting times!!! Made me smile.
    You and your family have had some lovely , happy times which memories will stay with you. I love your blog as you know and can’t wait to see what you’re doing in 2018, even if it’s just to share with me and show me how to make apple turnovers 😂 haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chic. Don't be sorry. I agree with you about the bowls. I can imagine a proper trifle in the big one next Christmas! I so want to get the rest of the patch done with the chicken poo but the weather has been so bad no chance as yet. I just love the wooden splashback, too. Can't remember if I said that due to the situation with his boss he will be heading back to work on Monday. Re the apple turnover I will email a link to you as soon as BT sort themselves out.Thank you for your lovely comments as always.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx