Wednesday 9 March 2016

Schedule Shmedule!

I've just been running the vacuum around upstairs and thinking about stuff I previously considered in a sad kind of domestic way. (You may need a few minutes and a cuppa for this post!)

I am a planner, there is no getting away from it. I like to do things in advance and Jon will say "do it when you need it/make it fresh". I like spontaneity but I also need to know what I am doing at certain times for various reasons. With the boys I have to know if I need the car to take them somewhere, I need to try and do a number of things on one day when I take a trip to Aber etc.

Our previous house, I think, was roughly the same size, maybe slightly smaller, but was laid out totally differently. I used to have a cleaning plan for the week and normally would stick to it. I have just started to come to the conclusion that if something needs cleaning clean it and if it doesn't why make work for yourself? This house is older than our previous one and I think it makes its own dirt in a way. The slate floors in the bottom kitchen and hall have years and years of dust in the cracks between them and this comes out each time I sweep them. I don't vacuum them to get them any cleaner as that is the way they are. the same goes for the floorboards in our bedroom. Is this making sense to anybody?

I also think part of my getting things done is to justify my staying home. Jon would NEVER asks me what I've done in the day, he always asks if I've had a good day. How could I not have a good day when I am lucky enough to stay at home where I am able to cook, bake and make a home comfy, clean and cosy for my family? I know it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and would drive some women to drink, but I love being the one to make a home for me and my family.  I think my pay of tax credits, if you look at it this way, works out at just over £2 an hour for a 7 day week at 8 hours a day. There we have a whole other discussion about whether or not being a stay at home mum is a valid occupation. I have never looked at it like that because for most of my married life I have just counted my lucky stars that I have been able to take up that occupation.

If anybody has got through the mire of this post and would, perhaps, like to comment congratulations!

Lou.xx



6 comments:

  1. I think I've gone through exactly that thought process! I love being at home and making things cosy. I used to be an obsessive cleaner, but I am now so much more relaxed about it all - doing it if it needs it rather than having a set daily schedule. I think it's made me happier at home too because it's allowed me time to be creative instead of feeling I should be cleaning 5 hours per day!! We are lucky to have the choice and be able to stay at home if we want to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank goodness somebody could see through my ramblings. WE are indeed very lucky. Thank you for easing my flustered mind!xx

      Delete
  2. I love being at home, I only started working as my son got older and then it was only a few hours here and there, being a housewife and mum is the best job ever, people think if you don't work you sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle all day. My life is busy and I just love it, I am a true home bird xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love to hear you say that. I think it is the best job ever, too. I am always busy and I am a home bird too.x

      Delete
  3. You are doing the most important hardest job in the world raising a family providing a loving home I am 100% behind those who choose this occupation well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx