Saturday 23 April 2016

All The Gear And No idea - I Hope Not.

Well, I have been so excited about the greenhouse getting finished and I helped Jon this morning as well as manning the fire to get rid of yet more branches from the rhododendrons we cut down. This afternoon, whilst I went shopping, he has finished it!

This is how the frame looked before and after it was covered in the polythene.






Eeek! How clever and wonderful is my husband? He has even built me benches and the drainpipe attached to the wall is for lettuces.





Also, Jon has used some old sleepers that were buried in the garden to make a raised bed, too. 

Whilst we were in the garden yesterday I dug up these terracotta flower bed edges. I think they are fantastic but haven't decided where to use them yet. 


I thought I'd show you how well the seeds have come on in the conservatory, but so much fun now to be able to have them in the greenhouse proper! Here are the pumpkins, no sign of the sweet peppers yet but the cucumbers are coming up a treat!



The tomato plants I bought are, of course, doing well, one of the sunflowers is yet to show its face but the courgettes are fab. Can't believe how sturdy the stems and leaves are already!



This is the tub with the first lot of lettuce in and I'll use the drain pipe when this has come up and put something else in this.

Tomorrow, when we are out fetching the boys, we are going to buy compost for the raised bed and the sink outside the door is for some herbs, ones that don't need too much drainage I now know. I have the compost bin ready to start filling so my food caddy in the kitchen cupboard will not be quite as full as somethings will be going in there now of course.

Whilst our shopping I treated myself to a new water sprayer, gloves and some more trays and pots for new seeds I'll be planting, which I have also bought.

So, as Jon said, it's over to me now to get the grow your own band wagon rolling and so excited to get started properly.

Lou.xx


8 comments:

  1. Enjoy the greenhouse, it will keep you busy and be very rewarding xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. I'm still nervous about what to put where and how, things growing right inside and not/or out etc but I just plod on and see what happens. Hope we have a good summer!x

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic, I hope you have a super growing season love the guttering brilliant idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dawn. I am super pleased with it. The only thing is we have quite a bit of condensation inside it. I will leave the door open in the day time until Jon gets a vent put in. I have LOADS of seeds to plant tomorrow. Is there any rule about using trays or small pots? I have both. Plus I am going to put onions in the raised bed along with leeks until I put the latter outside. Can I just grow the onions inside or can they be moved outside later, too? Sorry for questions, as usual, I fear there may be more!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so enjoying your progress - what a wonderful new life you are creating for yourselves. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. We are enjoying so much getting to fulfill our dreams and ambitions.x

      Delete
  5. That looks brilliant. I have serious greenhouse envy. Those terracotta flower bed edges are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Greta. The weather here is very different to that which we had over the weekend but I will be in there today. Having coffee with a friend later then I have bread to make so hope to go and do half an hour after brekky then more in the afternoon!x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx