Sunday 3 April 2016

The Chuck Wagon!

What can I say, my chickens, which will hopefully be rescued ones from the local egg farm, will be coming to a veritable poultry palace.

See here Jon's efforts; he always goes that extra mile and this includes for the arrival of the hens. He has been working on the hen house for the last few days and it is coming on a treat. 

The opening at the end is for the door so I can get in for the abundance of eggs we will be getting!


Jake was quite happy to model the interior!


 Here is the window side


and this is one of the sherpherd's hut wheels we were lucky enough to source, they just needed a little bit of refurbishment on the spokes.


We have gone for the wheelbarrow design, hence the handles, so it will be ok to move from Jon's workshop down to its spot just beyond the pond.


It will get a lick of paint and then we hopefully will get the fence posting next week in exchange for a little ride on tractor we no longer need plus some logs for the woodstore.

I am sooooo excited, really. I acquired some pots and trays for seed planting from a friend yesterday so hope to get something started with those next week. Maybe a bit adventurous but I hope to grow a pumpkin for October as I think the boys will enjoy helping to look after it and see it develop.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend. I am wandering around the house quite aimlessly most of the time just now as I really want my boys back. I hate feeling useless and as Jon has been busy with the chuck wagon most of the weekend I am without much purpose. I suppose I should do some crafting but to be honest I'm finding it difficult to settle to anything. But all is not lost as there is a Columbo on at 4pm so I'm going to watch that - gotta love Pete Falk!

Lou.xx

10 comments:

  1. I love the Chuck Wagon so much better to make a hen house rather than spend hundreds of pounds on one, it is so stylish, looking forward to you getting some chooks, Yes you have time to grow a pumpkin get it started now indoors :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all that Dawn. We hope that when Jon has his business up and running some people will be prepared to pay for them!x

      Delete
  2. What a fab hen house..clever chap you have there. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, super excited about getting a major thing ticked off our bucket list for our new life here in Wales!x

      Delete
  3. aahhh Lou, that hen house is going to be gorgeous, what colour are you going to paint it? your other half is clever to build that himself. I know how excited you must be feeling it was the same for me :-) Hope you managed to keep yourself busy, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee.x Not sure, generally depends what paint we have left over from other projects. Ha ha! but Jon thinks it needs a bit of protection from the elements so we'll get it sorted at the weekend I think. I decided to bake today hoping the boys will be back today but they are not yet, so I'm going to have to make noise tonight to make sure they are back tomorrow! Have also kept myself occupied, too, with a little craft project, the finished article which I hope to post later. Eeek!xx

      Delete
  4. That is a brilliant henhouse (shades of the one on the Archers, with those brilliant wheels!! We have some of those here . . .) As Dawn said, the idea of smallholding is to make things yourself rather than just go out and spend a packet on a "boughten" version. WELL DONE to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much BB.xx We have had some criticism because we have no opening at the back of the laying areas to get to the eggs, but the door is plenty big enough for me to get in for them and to clean it out. We are only having 8 at the most. If you find you don't need those shepherd's hut wheels maybe we could come to an arrangement as Jon would like to source some for future projects..... Jon hopes to start a business doing the very thing of reusing and recycling. Thanks again.xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx