Monday 4 April 2016

Time For Tea!

For a while I've wanted to to work on a project to cheer up a rather boring tray from Ikea which I use when we have a pot of tea or coffee. I had a great idea the other day to use a page from a special book/magazine I have. I think I have mentioned in the past that I used to subscribe to something called Pretty Nostalgic but the cost changed and was a bit too much for me along with my old faithful, Country Living.

The best way to describe it is Make Do And Mend, Waste Not Want Not and everything else in between at that time in the past, plus take a peek at their website. So even though I don't get regular copies of it now I have all the editions before the price change plus a 12x12 inch book they brought out. I have used some of the issues in decorations around the house a lot and the large book is fantastic for inspiring my love of the past. Some of the pages have been and are great for papercrafting and other pages, when I get round to it, will be wonderful when framed.



Back to the project. Here is the tray before I started. I forgot to photograph the main page I am using for the project!



I figured I could cover the edges of the tray which is just a bit bigger than 12x12 with sheet music; I LOVE using that on projects. I did that and then placed the main piece of paper on the tray and began to paint with the PVA glue.




The elephants have gone and will be replaced with something much more suitable. I've never used PVA glue in a project like this and its taking a bit longer to dry than I thought so I decided to put it near the fire and that sped it up a bit although it caused a couple of creases.

And here is the final result. 


I have to say I'm really chuffed with how it has come out and will enjoy my tea or coffee much more now!

Lou.x

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely project so much nicer than the elephants :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I really enjoyed doing it and yes, much better than the elephants.

      Delete
  2. A great improvement on the elephants! You've reminded me I have some Victorian decoupage pieces and an old table that needs "upcycling"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I put a spoon from my coffee on it last night and I thought it was bubbling but I looked at it this morning and it was just fine. Would love to see your project when it is finished.xx

      Delete
  3. There's a chance you're qualified to get a free $200 Ikea Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx