Wednesday 6 April 2016

Getting Our Fingers Green At Last


Today me and the boys had our trip to Aberystwyth for all the things we planned on buying to get the seeds started, along with having something to eat at Subway; the boys love asking for their own food!

We got a bit of a bargain at the pound store where I saw for £1 seeds for eight different things in one pack; it included pretty much everything I would be happy to grow. 



We got compost as well as three lots of seed potatoes for £5 from B and M, not sure about the quality of the latter once home but I'll go with it, along with some onions plus more vegetable seeds for 89p from Charlie's.

Alfie helped, especially when it came to planting the sunflower seeds, and he says he wants to keep one in his room but I'll  have to convince him otherwise I think.

I had lolly sticks in my craft thing so he helped me write names on them as well as labelling envelopes with the spare seeds we had left over. (We used old lunch money envelopes for that!)

So today we have planted seeds for:

cucumbers and courgettes


beef tomatoes

pumpkins and sunflowers.


and put the potatoes out to chit?


If anybody can see anything amis in the photos please let me know but I'm just giving it a go and hoping something turns up from my efforts. Potting on the floor of the conservatory  is NOT good for my knees; bring on the potting bench! I feel this is quite an achievement  and loved including the list to show what we have done. I have some more to plant and will try and do them tomorrow but I have a new dough hook for my Kenwood and hope to find time to do some bread making.

I feel we are getting there in lots of ways right now.

Lou.xx

8 comments:

  1. The potatoes look well and truly chitted and need planting, if you havent got the place ready for the yet then check them over if they have other small eyes just peeping from the potatoes then take off the long ones and leave to chit, it will give you a bit of time to prepare the area, the really long ones you will find might snap as you as you are planting them anyway,
    well done for getting started :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Dawn. A couple of the long shoots have already come away so I'll look at the others. But, as you do, I did have a brain wave at a strange time of the night whilst in bed that I do have a big bag that is suitable for growing the spuds. Weather is rubbish today at our end, very blustery and rainy as forecast. I think me and my boys will have a bit of a sofa day as we have friends coming tomorrow, then I have an excuse to catch up on lots of blogs but I do have some lettuce to start off, too.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My seed are coming up now, I didn't buy sunflowers I used some seeds from the bird seed mix, they have come up and doing very well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt quite daft when I realised I had a nut snack pack which I could have taken some out of!

      Delete
  4. Well done on getting going with that. I need to make a start on a bit of seed sowing and your post has given me a timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am just so desperate to get something growing. I don't want to miss the boat on tasty treats for the summer table!x

      Delete
  5. Oohhh isn't this part the exciting bit planning and sowing its my first full year of doing this to and I love it. Everything looks great just have to be patient now and wait for it to grow which I find the worst stage :-) dee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting but I'm also extremely nervous until things start to shoot up a bit! I hope to get some more things in the greenhouse ASAP. Jon has come across a cracked oil tank at work, the big green ones like we have, so we are going to cut it in half and use it as a big bed at the far end of the greenhouse; should be good for growoing anything in I think, after a good hosing down, of course. Lou.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx