Monday 18 April 2016

We Seem To Almost Have A Garden, Not A Wilderness.

You may want to settle down with a cuppa and a slice of cake as this post is a bit of a catch up. The weather really was very good to us this weekend and we have got LOADS done in the garden. Here is the flower bed I mentioned the other day from both sides. It looks much better but I still have a few roots to dig up when I find my little fork and trowel.

















We have pruned some very out of control trees, collected up the vast majority of the cut down bamboo and had a big fire to get shot of it. I know I talked about us getting the wood chipper from the saw mill but it didn't seem forthcoming and we really wanted to get on with the clearing as much as possible.

Whilst the fire was doing its thing we worked on cutting down to size three mahoosive Rhododendron bushes parallel the side wall that runs along from the front door. 


I can understand if you think it looks a bit severe but they had just taken over and there are at least two more bushes in the garden, too; we found a birds nest in one of them so we will re-home that.

This is the pile of cuttings that will all have to be taken down to the bottom of the garden for burning, too. 

The bushes kept out so much light and it is like having two garden walls. We are in the middle of taking down a tree in that corner, too. There is just too much of everything in this garden but thankfully we are getting it sorted. Can't wait to show you the greenhouse! The main structure is built, Jon has painted it with creosote and the polythene is on order for delivery on tomorrow but the benches inside are still to be built; hopefully all will be done by next weekend. 

We have two, yes overgrown, raised beds up near where the greenhouse is and we hope to get those into use for planting. 


We are so pleased with the progress we have made. The boys are on their Urdd activity weekend this coming Friday so we will be able to get stuff done whilst they are away until Sunday afternoon. They like it when they have been away and things have been done or changed!

Seeds in the conservatory are starting to show. Sooooo excited! and I have bought two cherry tomato plants to go along side the Beef tomatoes we are growing so we, hopefully, have a good supply.





I have lettuce in a tub and that is starting to come through. The boys are loving having a look every morning to see how things are coming along especially the sunflowers and Alfie has his initial in his pot so he knows how big it is getting - so competative with Harry!

We sold our Ercol day bed and the buyers came to collect that in the middle of all this so that is another thing out of the way.

I remembered I had taken these last two photos when I took Jake out on Friday. We are surrounded by sheep and I keep meaning to snap then so here are a pair of twins looking super cute in one of the fields near the cycle path. I am considering sending the first one to the Cambrian Times as a photo of the week!





















I'm currently waiting for bread to prove and then I'm making courgette and tomato chutney- trying the recipe for when we have our own grown! Dawn, I am trying the water bath method today so wish me luck!

12 comments:

  1. The garden is coming along a treat. It must be so satisfying to be getting stuff done. Great excitment too when seedlings start to pop up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to all of that! The seed thing was a bit of an anxious time for me but all good now! Cannot wait to get into the greenhouse. Will post a picture of the final build soon. Hubs has worked SO hard on making it just as I wanted!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all coming along nicely, It was a bit overgrown here when we moved in but you have to be ruthless or else you will never get it how you want it, it is nice when the seeds come up and even nicer when you can eat the fruits of your labour xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree abut being ruthless. Did you have an abundance of anything in particular, or just everything like us?! We just have had to do it, to really see what we have. My tomato seeds are doing nothing. Not sure if I planted them too far down or something but chuffed with everything else.x

      Delete
    2. Hi Louise the previous tentants weren't into gardening everything was out of control.
      My tom seeds took ages, but they are still not that big, what we need is the real Spring Weather not this cold stuff xx

      Delete
    3. The forecast is quite good for us over the next couple of days I think so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it lasts.x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks!I have a couple of things to move into the weeded flower bed once I have the roots up I mentioned.

      Delete
  5. Wow its all taking shape at your place, its great when suddenly it all starts coming together, I am sure you will get on great with your preserving, I have bread proving at the moment as well but I think the yeast is not being yeast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and thanks! And we really only started getting to it about 4 weeks ago or so I think. I tested the seals on my clip top jars this morning and perfect! Very chuffed with myself, even though I didn't quite have the right equipment but intend to get myself a jar lifter and a thermometre for the next time I do any. I have one chutney in the fridge to use now because I completely forgot I had to leave them over night for the seal. More importantly Jon is not a fan of courgette at all and he thought the chutney was very nice. Hope your yeast behaved itself. Do you use fresh? I use the packet kind. It would still be lovely to see you some time if you fancy popping over, but I do hope there can be another get together in the summer before any young ones are off school perhaps?xx

      Delete
  6. wow you have been busy its all looking brilliant. you have a gorg home and garden. dee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. I do wish you were able to keep your little patch as your own home which you are enjoying so much.xx I hope to post pictures of the finished greenhohuse at the weekend. We started putting the polythene on yesterday so there is that to finish and Jon will be building the benches etc inside tomorrow.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx