Thursday 7 April 2016

By Hook Or By Crook!

I have finally tried out the new dough hook. 

Jon said he is more than happy for us not to buy bread as a general rule as long as we have the right recipe. (That is what you get for being married to a trained chef who also worked in an organic bakery!) Therefore I have this afternoon made two loaves with said new attachment for the ancient, but super, Kenwood. I really should use if more often but I am so used to baking by hand.
















We have turned the Rayburn off and this morning must have been a record as I had the living room fire lit at 8.30am. 


I planned to prove the bread on the mantle piece and it came up a treat!


The finished products are these.


They are quite squishy on the top so hope they slice well. The boys are dying to try some but I'm going to leave them a little longer, for the official taster! Ha.

The weather here was lousy from around 7am but at 11am the rain had stopped sufficiently for me to rally the troops in quick time to take Jake out for a walk. Harry was on foot and Alfie happily took out his 'new' bike, if you get my drift, as Grandad has just bought Harry a new one. We went down the cycle path in the direction of Aberystwyth instead of towards Tregaron for a change. It was much better as the path is wider and gets less muddy after the rain compared to the other so I feel that will be my route of choice from now on.

Ok, getting tea on the go just now so must dash. I'm sure some of you wonder if I get any work done at all sometimes with my regular posts but I do, honestly!

Lou.xx


6 comments:

  1. Since getting into making bread the other week I bought a loaf, was so busy didnt get round to bread making and we ran out, I bought a good brand and was so dissapointed with it, it was like eating fresh air, then I felt really bloated and uncomfortable, there was a long list of ingredients on the wrapper too and pointed it out to Martin as I only have 4 in mine.
    Your bread looks fab and nicely risen I use my dough hook all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I am really pleased bread is something I find easy to make and enjoy making, too. I think I will have no problem making a couple of loaves every day. Have you never had the time to bake bread before? Do you ever buy flour in bulk? I'm not bothered about organic and I have to say the flour I currently buy from Lidl does me fine. I've looked online for larger bags and of course it is more expensive.Now I have the dough hook it means I can make other things more easily, too.:-)

      Delete
  2. Home made bread is so much nicer, I haven't bought any from the shop since I got the free kenwood breadmaker from Freecycle , I found some nice local Cotswolds organic flour, what flour do you use ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I not very particular when it comes to flour. I just use Lidl's own bread flour but may look for some nice wholemeal flour to mix things up a bit. I'm keen to make some brioche - LOVE brioche buns with burgers, just adds a bit more yumminess.

      Delete
  3. That bread looks great! I only ever use my kenwood dough hook for kneading bread, if I try to do it by hand it just isn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greta. I make express bread rolls to have at tea on the night I make them, say for burgers, and they are ok done by hand but really pleased I have one now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx