Monday 25 April 2016

Llanarth, Llangrannog And Nom Nom!

Yesterday morning we were up early to do a few jobs before we set off to fetch the boys from Llangrannog.I set about baking a Victoria sponge cake and some scones and Jon tidied his shed after the work being finished on the greenhouse so he is much happier - hates a mess in his work space!

We set off at 10am and headed to a garden centre at Llanarth and we bought a LOT of compost, a couple more packets of seeds, squash, strawberry and tomato plants and some herbs for the sink. We also now have an old terracotta chimney sitting outside the greenhouse and I have put the mint in it to keep it away from the other plants.

After that we drove to the Urdd centre, just so we knew where it was. What a fabulous setting by the sea.



Then headed down to the little beach. How fab is it there? I took a couple of pictures whilst we were giving Jake a run out and then we went to one of the cafes on the beach front for some lunch, plus an ice cream.




We picked the boys up and drove home, getting caught behind a convoy of tractors for a short while! When we arrived back we put the things into the greenhouse and the boys played outside for a while whilst Jon lit a little fire to get rid of a few more trees etc.

I'd already decided to do a proper Sunday tea for the boys coming home, hence the cake and scones, so I set about making egg mayonnaise and potato salad plus other sandwiches and whipped the cream for the cake. Here is our special welcome home spread.




















This morning I spent an hour in the greenhouse, yay! I have planted onions and spring onions in the raised bed plus two lots of sweetcorn kernels. I don't know if this is the right place for these things, I understand sweetcorn does not like having its roots disturbed but hopefully I can start them off then put them in a tub to keep growing. At least I can put something else in when the spring onions come up if I have made the wrong decision. Obviously, any advice, hints and/or tips are always welcome!

I think I am so keen to start that I have to step back and think a little. I can at least get lots of things started ready for when we get the beds outside ready and then at least I feel as if I am doing something. I have sowed some rocket in the drainpipe and some strawberry seeds in pots. (Walking around the garden yesterday evening we think we spotted some strawberry leaves, but we shall see.)  

I have bread proving at the moment so when  that is baked and I've had my lunch I will head out again. I'm collecting toiler roll iners for the carrots so I think I'll start those off in a tray along with some leeks. I guess my main problem at the moment is knowing how much each seed/plant will produce. I don't want to only end up with half a dozen carrots and leeks etc.


8 comments:

  1. Buying the compost soon adds up it doesn't go very far, but I am good I do recycle it and use it again.
    Your tea looks lovely, I just love afternoon tea, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there. One bag of three filled the bed in the greenhouse. I'm such a nervous ninny at the moment - I know I keep going on about it but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like to get things right, but i understand it's good to just go for it and see what happens.x The tea was lovely, thanks.x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely outing for you, Jon and Jake before collecting the boys. And what lucky guys to have that delectable spread waiting for them when they got home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely outing for you, Jon and Jake before collecting the boys. And what lucky guys to have that delectable spread waiting for them when they got home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to grow seeds in single cells as i cant stand pricking out, you can grow your leeks and onions inside but they are in the ground for a long time taking up space that you might want for more tender plants, you are best to have the door open through the day and shut it an hour before sunset to keep some of the heat in, dont wory about the condensation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all that Dawn. Guess I'll have to stick with the couple of trays I've done. I used the loo roll iners for the carrots. Ho hum. All a learning curve. Thanks again.xx

      Delete
  5. Busy you! Love the first year at a new place seeing what is "hiding" and lurking in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying that part of living here as we have never had such a fantastic garden before. We went past the sign to Blaencelyn on Sunday. Least I know where you are now! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for finding the time to comment. I really appreciate it and will always try to reply.xx